i rtfm and yet....

this about sums up the problem:

Problem: When viewing a turn in the Action Phase, the timer jumps to the end of the turn or displays random numbers. Action on screen may or may not be affected.

Cause/Solution #1: Make sure you are not running and Instant Messenger software in the background. Programs like MS Messenger and AIM can cause this to occur.

Cause/Solution #2: Someodler Dell computers had a problem correctly computing their Windows "UPTIME". This causes the game to loose its timing and corrupt the action playback. Contact Dell for an updated Bios which should fix this problem

But a few differences:

-no IM running

-my desktop has been disconnected from the internet since the end of August as I have no internet access where I am presently at.

-I recently re-installed CMBO and then this problem started....co-winky-dink or possible source of issue?

Solutions/ fixes?

Thanks

Is this problem happening in other CM games (CMBB or CMAK) or just CMBO ?

Apparently cause #2 is more common than it might seem (it doesn't happen to just only Dell computers). An installation of CMBO would NOT be the "instigator" of this problem.

Rebooting a computer before playing a session of CM may help if the problem is the 'uptime counter' bug.

I believe I've seen video drivers being responsible for this sort of behavior too. I don't remember which videocards and which particular drivers were or could have been the culprits.

It's possible that other utilities running in the background could mess with the "timing functions" that CM uses. What particular ones, I don't know. But if anything is querying the system often checking its performance, then that may be a potential culprit. Power Saving schemes may also be another culprit (the AMD and Intel ones that can throttle a CPU's speed in particular).

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Is this problem happening in other CM games (CMBB or CMAK) or just CMBO ?

Haven't noticed it in CMBO, just in CMBB and CMAK.

Rebooting a computer before playing a session of CM may help if the problem is the 'uptime counter' bug.
I will give that a shot and see what's what.

I believe I've seen video drivers being responsible for this sort of behavior too. I don't remember which videocards and which particular drivers were or could have been the culprits.
No internet access, hence no driver updates/ changes.

It's possible that other utilities running in the background could mess with the "timing functions" that CM uses. What particular ones, I don't know. But if anything is querying the system often checking its performance, then that may be a potential culprit. Power Saving schemes may also be another culprit (the AMD and Intel ones that can throttle a CPU's speed in particular).
There was a Kodak update application running when I gave it the ole three finger salute, closed that app out but problem was still present. Gonna try re-boot, checking my power saving settings, etc.

Thanks Schrullenhaft, I have the computer literacy skills of a drunken ape equipped with a hammer so I normally don't play around with settings unless given very specific instructions. :D

• 2 weeks later...