British 5th Infantry Division

I've come across some references alluding to this Division being transferred to NWE from Italy in 1945 but I can't find anything specific. Does anyone know the dates (if this did happen), the Corps it was placed under, and possibly which regiments were in the 5th Division at the time?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

5th Canadian Div also transferred early in 1945; perhaps this is a source of confusion?

Not mine :D

I know exactly where the Canadian troops were...

but maybe the information I spotted was based on someone else's confusion....

I had always thought that the British 5th Infantry Division fought the war exclusively in the Mediterranean, but I'm not the expert, so I figured I ask here.

Are you researching for the "hopefully upcoming" release of your british sleeve mod?

*crosses fingers*

I'm still looking forward to it.

I haven't forgotten about the sleeve mod (just ask my wife). I've been preparing all the patches for application. On the plus side, all my research will make it very easy to do the MTO at a later date. ;)

From Osprey

7TH CHESHIRE (MG)

13 Infantry Brigade

2nd Cameronians

2nd Inniskilling

(to 14 Jul 44)

5th Essex

(from 14 Jul 44)

2nd Wiltshire Regiment

15 Infantry Brigade

1st Green Howards

1st King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

1st York and Lancaster Regiment

17 Infantry Brigade

2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers

2nd Northamptons

6th Seaforth Highlanders

The div sign was a Y, as you probably already know. Symbolic of the county of Yorkshire.

[ June 13, 2002, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

British Med Divs - history of 5 Div and regimental org - beware the popups.

The 5th Division was a prewar Regular formation. Two of its brigades went to France as independent brigades in October 1939, and the division reformed in France at the end of the year. The Division returned to the UK at the end of May 1940 following the defeat in France, served in India briefly between May and August 1942, then moved to the Middle East, serving in Madagascar, Persia (Iran), Iraq, Syria, Egypt and Palestine. The Division did not serve in the North African campaign as front line troops, but were among the first troops to land in Sicily in July 1943, moving to Italy in September and serving there until July 1944. The Division returned to Egypt in July, then moved to Palestine where it served until February 1945, being shipped back to Italy for a two week stay there, from whence it moved to Northwest Europe in Mach 1945, where it remained until after the cessation of hostilities.

From my TOMMY site - info from Osprey, but also an orignial orbat published by the King's Printer shortly after the war.

[ June 13, 2002, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Darknight_Canuck:

Thanks Michael....

Honestly, I'm ashamed to confess that I hadn't looked on your Tommy site (I didn't think the info was there b/c it wasn't the last time I browsed through). Okay, now back to work with me.... :D

I wasn't sure either. I looked in Osprey first, then on a hunch went back to check.....then edited my post when I found I had the info up. redface.gif

Originally posted by Darknight_Canuck:

If you know this final detail, it'll just make my day.

What was the Recce Regt for the division?

It's not as simple as "5th Recce Regt" is it?

Wouldn't you just know that I put all the infantry battalions up and totally ignored the armour?

Hey, I can go to the U of C library to check the orbat again - but it will be two weeks from now. Send me an email a week from tomorrow to remind me, if you still need the info, and I can look it up - plus any other divisional info you need and can't find in the interim.

Darknight_Canuck,

It seems it was indeed the 5th Recce Regt of the RAC (Reconnaissance Corps). Sources; M.Bellis and J. Bouchery.

BTW Michael, lots of great stuff on your Tommy site I hadn't noticed before. Have you added to it recently?

[ June 14, 2002, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: Viceroy ]

Originally posted by Viceroy:

Darknight_Canuck,

It seems it was indeed the 5th Recce Regt of the RAC (Reconnaissance Corps). Sources; M.Bellis and J. Bouchery.

BTW Michael, lots of great stuff on your Tommy site I hadn't noticed before. Have you added to it recently?

Not a shred. redface.gif Been too busy looking east... But thanks for the compliment. I wish I had the time to maintain all the projects I started. I will leave it up...CM3 is just around the corner...

I suspect that if I get truly inspired, I will revisit the site, but right now I am poring over some new GD histories and gleaning what I can from them.

EDIT - thanks for saving me a trip to the library, btw!

[ June 14, 2002, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]