Why did my PzIIIJ use HE against a KV-1?

During a QB one of my PzIII's snuck in real close (60m) to a KV-1. After initially getting several AP shots off, the PzIII switiched to bombarding the KV with HE. Does anyone have a reason for this? The PzIII wasn't short on AP either, it had roughly 45 HE and 20 AP. Is there some HE shock effect that is included in CMBB? I bring that up because the KV-1 remained motionless and wouldn't return fire for many turns (so many that I'm sure any death clock would've run out) after HE was used against it.

As a guess whacky Id say that the blast from the HE caused spalling on the armour on the interior of the KV and killed one of the crew, causing them to be 'shocked'.

Also, what were the chances of the AP round penetrating the KV? If it was small the Tac AI may have decided it had a better chance of doing the above than killing the beast smile.gif

Dan

Yes, I have seen the same effect, but on a "smaller" scale. I have a 75 IG shooting at T-60's. It has no HC so it is banging away with the HE. One shell hit near a T60 and KO'd it, another was hit with "no effect" in the turret, but evidently it beat a crewman to death inside and they bailed. Verrry innnnteresting....and cool...

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

As a guess whacky Id say that the blast from the HE caused spalling on the armour on the interior of the KV and killed one of the crew, causing them to be 'shocked'.

Dan

I'll back this one up too. I just had an extreme example several hours ago in a test run. I had a single Sturmtiger ambush an IS-2 leading a KV-1 and hit the IS-2 in the oblique (front/right) with a front turret hit.

I got a "Front Turret Hit/No Serious Damage" text on the IS-2. No penetration but NONE of the crew exited the tank. It wasn't burning either. Also, the KV-1 50m behind it just sat there for the remainder before being "flanked" by the STiger, but I didn't see anything indicating that it was immobilized. Buttoned up, yes, but no "immobilized" text on the target description.

It's an interesting twist different from CMBO. With the right ingredients (immobilization, etc.) and a good HE blast, I guess you can take out even the heaviest of armor by terrorizing the crew.

[ October 14, 2002, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: Warmaker ]

Originally posted by akdavis:

88mm and 105mm HE will rip the living **** out of early T-34s. Sorry for the language, but I don't know how else to describe what happens when a high-velocity 88mm HE round scores a penetration on a T-34. Gruesome.

Try using the German 150mm Infantry gun against early war Soviet tanks. BLAMO!