Scenarios & Bad Spelling

to pick up a few quotes, to temper my agreement or give my wholehearted support:

It's not just a matter of the manual not being the "Main product"

Exactly, but I am trying to be nice and find an excuse for poor quality control

"Nonetheless I am of the opinion that there is no excuse for even half a dozen typos in a printed manual... how unexpected it is.

Fully agree. However, I have come to expect it in most games manuals. Perhaps because I have to cope with an extra layer of quality control in the form of translation.

The spelling errors in the scenario briefings themselves also speak of a rushed product.

Can't speak for this as I have the German version. I get the impression the translation has not been done by professionals or people not versed in proofreading - keeps prices down though doesn't it.

Last point: " Jon has a point - really once the manual is in the hands of the purchaser there is no more selling to do.

Disagree; they want me to buy another game from them. A good manual would be part of customer loyalising. Will I buy a BMW if the one I just bought is more a bummer than a beamer, I certainly look at Audi next time wouldn't I plus the marketing blurb as well as it all counts doesn't it and if the manufacturer makes multiple errors in his advertising how does that spill over onto my estimation of the product?

Pascal: The Archer was the turning point of the battle - one small point and no offence but I prefer Peter to Pete

[ October 16, 2002, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: pt ]

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

All that I'm saying is that if you're going to spend the time and effort to design a scenario; what's the harm in taking a couple of extra minutes to check the spelling of the briefings.

There's no harm, but as any writer will tell you, sometimes you read something so often you can't see the forest for the trees anymore. Second and third sets of eyes are always necessary - but not always in abundance.

What's funny is the original author just received the scenario...which means it was NOT on the CD. Hmmm....

Also, the US version WAS spell checked and grammar checked. Every scenario even the ones that didn't make the cut.

Translations, the guys would have to answer about...

Rune

Rune,

Rob was talking about proofreading scens in general, not specifically referring to the released game. Having a go at him for something he didn't say is a bit out of order, IMHO. After his post the conversation divided and has gone down two seperate but related streams; 1) scenario designers taking the time to check their own work, and 2) general comments on the importance of proofreading, and the value of same, with particular reference to the product known as CM:BB.

Regards

JonS

By-the-by: pt - I wasn't arguing with you, I put the smilies in there to indicate I was joking smile.gif

By-the-by 2: whenever I am asked to playtest a scen, one of the first things I do is go over the briefings with a fine-toothed comb. I'm not sure whether the designers appreciate it or not :confused: But I think its important, so I'll keep doing it.

By-the-by 3: For the person who asked: welter ('wεlta) vb. (intr.) 1. ... 4. a confused mass; jumble.

[ October 16, 2002, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Attention to spelling reflects directly on attention to detail and accuracy. If I find a scenario with multiple spelling errors in the briefing, I tend to assume that it is an "amateur" undertaking, likely to lack polish around the edges.

If you are an English speaker, simply run your text through some sort of spellchecker.

If you are a non-native English speaker, simply run your text through some sort of spellchecker.

If you have a rough grasp on the English language, ask one of us English speakers to proofread your text. Post it here, e-mail someone, whatever.

If you can barely get by in English, just write your text in your own language and have someone translate. There is such an international community here, I don't think you'd have a tough time finding someone to translate.

If you speak some obscure language like Swahili or Canadian, you should probably just leave now before you cause intense linguistic suffering amongst your peers.

[Edit: see, I fix my mistakes ;) ]

[ October 17, 2002, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: akdavis ]

That's exactly my point. I'm not trying to attack anyone's effort. I'm still learning to create decent maps myself. I haven't even begun to attempt a scenario briefing ( haven't figured out how to make a text file yet ). If I've offended anyone here I apologize.

JonS no offence given or hopefully taken smile.gif . Thanks for the discussion. Perhaps we can wrap this one up by saying attention to detail in one area is a general indication of the attention paid elsewhere - this certainly comes through when I marke people's work at college.

[ October 17, 2002, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: pt ]