CMBO Patch incompatible with UK retail

Hi there, I've just bought a retail version of Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord here in the UK.

It was working fine when I first installed it, but when I installed the latest patch from battlefront.com, it no longer accepts the CD as original.

Do you or CDV (UK publishers) have a different patch available for UK retail users, that I don't know about or something?

What's even more curious is if you visit CDV's UK site, there's not even a mention of them publishing the game, let alone support it with a patch!

Thanks, SpazManOught! I'm just not used to a PC game's disk(s) to be patched to the latest version from the shop already without me having to visit the internet first! ;)

Any reason though, why the installer for the patches can't be made to do a version check automatically?

Anyway, I've sorted out that problem now, but curious about something else:

Whenever I first put the CD in the drive and it autoruns, I always see the "Modify/Install/Uninstall" Request Screen rather than it going directly into the game. I have to cancel it everytime I wish to proceed to the game. Is this normal for Combat Mission?

The CDV distributed version of CMBO is a bit different from the Internet distributed version. The internet version doesn't have any autorun code on it (which typically for most CD games is an installer program) like the CDV version apparently does. I'm not sure what BTS/CDV used in their autorun code, but it was probably one of the standard installer programs that isn't extensively customized. I don't know if the particular installer program that was used would allow for a 'run game' button (without it running from just the CD - which is MUCH slower than from the hard drive).

The reason why this game has the latest patch is that it has been available for just over a year now. While CMBO is brand new to some European store shelves, it has been available via the internet for over a year and a half. This latest retail release took quite a few of us by surprise this close to the release of CMBB.

Originally posted by Bloodshot:

Hi there, I've just bought a retail version of Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord here in the UK.

It was working fine when I first installed it, but when I installed the latest patch from battlefront.com, it no longer accepts the CD as original.

Do you or CDV (UK publishers) have a different patch available for UK retail users, that I don't know about or something?

What's even more curious is if you visit CDV's UK site, there's not even a mention of them publishing the game, let alone support it with a patch!

Hi.

I bought the retail version of Combat Mission (UK)early last year. It's worked fine up to now, currently on Windows XP.

Like you, when I installed the v1.12 update this week the game will no longer see the CD in the CD-ROM drive. I have uninstalled then reinstalled the original ( v1.03 ) but it will still not see the CD-ROM anymore. It must be reading the CD fine because I've just installed the game from the same CD-ROM drive ( Relisys 16x DVD/CD-ROM ). You stated in one of your replies that you have now fixed the problem. Can you tell me what you did ?

Regards

Originally posted by Bloodshot:

I replied to this in the other thread...

DO NOT PATCH ANY EUROPEAN RETAIL RELEASE OF CMBO WITH THE INTERNET-AVAILABLE 1.12 PATCH !!!!!

I do not know why your game says 1.03, but any retail release should be based on 1.12 (if you have TCP/IP capabilities in the game then you most likely have 1.12). The European releases have a different copy protection scheme. This is built-into the executable and when you install the internet 1.12 patch the copy protection no longer works and your CD is no longer recognized by CM.

I don't know why the reinstall didn't fix your problem. Possibly you'll need to uninstall CMBO and make sure it is completely gone via a manual deletion of directories and files. The reinstall should get you running again. The internet release of CMBO does very little to the registry, but I'm not sure of the CDV release and what it may do to the registry (I'd assume just about as little).

Hi.

I may have confused the issue here. I live in the UK. The version of Combat Mission I have is on commercial CD which I ordered via the internet directly from Battlefront.com. It was shipped directly from the states. My receipt has a date of 08/27/00. The version number shown on screen in the bottom right hand corner is 1.03 on install.

So, do I have a European version which is not patchable at all ?? There seem to have been an awful lot of bug fixes and updates in these later versions and I would really like to have the latest software...

Yes, you've confused the issue. The 1.12 patch is applicable to your version. You DO NOT HAVE THE RETAIL version that is currently being sold in Europe (distributed by CDV). Copies purchased directly from BTS/Battlefront are English-only.

The problem you're suffering from (CD no longer being seen in a Windows XP setup) has happened to a few users, but we haven't found any consistency for the cause (and there have been quite a few XP installs of CMBO without problem). The solution for some users has been to actually replace the CDROM drive (some CDROM/DVD drives have had firmware updates for XP). This also may be an issue of IDE drivers built into WinXP. I'd suggest downloading and installing the latest applicable chipset driver (which may include some IDE updates) for your motherboard (usually from the chipset manufacturer's website).

Just for the record in order to clarify things. CM was in retail stores long before CDV came into the picture. Several independant retail stores ordered CM directly from BTS and sells it in their stores. I'm talking about the original 'only on internet' version. It's been available in Sweden for more than a year, but the price tag is hugh (around $100). So, please don't assume that retail version equals CDV version.

Edit: An example, a shop in Stockholm which also sells it over the net:

http://www.softwareexpress.se/prd1828.htm

[ March 19, 2002, 03:35 AM: Message edited by: Visom ]

The 'retail version' you purchased in Sweden is still actually the 'internet version'. You just managed to acquire it via a retailer. It isn't considered a 'retail version' for the purposes of our discussion here. Your copy isn't localized, officially 'boxed' and the content is exactly the same as the version directly available from BTS.

The current retail version (boxed) is being distributed by CDV for a number of European countries. It's been in Germany and France for quite awhile now and I think it has just been recently made available in the UK and some other countries. These versions have been localized for the language and they have different executables for the copy protection scheme. They are available only from retailers and not BTS.

[ March 19, 2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Yeah, it was released here in the UK on Friday 8th March. It was a long wait!

Can anybody tell me if we'll have to wait another year to get a retail version of Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin too, or has BTS made a deal with CDV to publish it in the UK more immediately?

[ March 19, 2002, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Bloodshot ]

I believe CMBB should be available from CDV relatively soon after the internet release of the game. I don't know if they're going to use the same copy protection scheme for both or what, if not then that could slow down the process of distribution too. The localizations for each country I believe will be done soon as all of the text (scenarios, etc.) are finalized (possibly before CMBB is released via the internet).

I'd guess that it may take a month or two (assuming that everything for duplication of the CDV release is ready at the same time as the internet release) before you'll see the CDV distributed retail version on the shelves. If you want it real bad then purchasing over the internet may be the most timely way. The shipping and availability of the product should be better than the international experience with CMBO when it first came out.