Heidelberg AAR

August 2002, clear sky, town, meeting engagement, combined arms.

"I'm standing in a doorway, nervously looking around the corner into the street. Nobody's to be seen. Yet. I don't know where the rest of my squad is, if they're still alive.

In the distance I hear the sounds of many feet on the cobblestones. The sounds of engines strike deep into my heart: Damn! I knew the infantry wouldn't be alone.

Not after what happened to them yesterday.

Time is running, I have no choice. I dart out of the doorway, run across the street and press myself against the wall. It's still wet from the rain that fell last night.

I slowly crawl forward. I hear someone yelling in the distance. Maybe my comrades? Did they make it back after all?

Then it strikes me like a hammer:"...On the right...castle...move on!"

Oh my god! The Americans are already in town! They must have broken through somewhere!

I try to stay calm. I still have a chance.

I just have to run around the next corner, into the main shopping street and across the large place, into the large building. Maybe 500 meters.

I look around the corner into the main street and my heart stops for a second! At least a company of Americans coming down the street, slowly, like the rising tide. Cameras, city guides, I think I even saw a submachinegun somewhere. They haven't seen me yet so I start to run! I stumble, hit the street. Up again! Don't stop, don't look back! My knee is bleeding, but I feel no pain! Just keep running!

50 meters...30...10... Ja! I run around the corner of the large shop and take cover behind a post offive box. Post office box? Man! These new doodads are awesome. As I lie there breathing heavily a loud noise comes from the opposing end of the grand plaza. No! Another bus full of tourists! I have to act quick! I throw my last can of coke at the bus, forcing him to stay buttoned. If the people in there manage to exit the bus before I can make it into the cafeteria I'm dead.

The driver looks at me with a terrified face, then reverses back. Ha! Lookes like a shocked crew!

But there's no time to enjoy this little victory, as I spot at least 400 infantry advancing under cover of numerous umbrellas painted in many colours with strange characters on them.

Japanese??! "We're allies, you fools!" I want to shout when the Americans suddenly come around the corner "...this is the university place with the old university to our left and...". To my right a company of french tourists appear out of nothing, menacingly swinging their baguettes. A lonesome Polish guys is standing in front of the bus stop, trying to ask some russians something. Behind the church a combined group of british, dutch and australian visitors prepare for an all-out assault while a small group of spanish special forces engage a fortified BurgerKing restaurant.

With all the energy that's left in me I pull myself up, running the last meters to the caveteria, dodging bycicles and civilians and a group of skandinavians who have taken positions in a biergarten.

What's that? A half-squad of Jehovas Witnesses in ambush position right next to the entrance to the cafeteria! No time to think.

In fierce close combat I break through, and stumble into the cafeteria...

There, some of my friends are also there! Some at least made it.

'Anyone seen Wolfgang and Klaus?'

'We last saw them near the McDonalds restaurant before three buses arrived right in front of them. They never had a chance.'

I see a tear in his eye.

'Alright, let's have something to eat now, at 1300 I've to be back in my institute.'

'What's with your knee?'

'Don't ask...'"

PS No tourists were harmed while writing this stuff.

PPS Yes, I'm bored. tongue.gif

[ August 14, 2002, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ozzy:

Nope, since the 0.33 calibre has a faster ROF and better balistics I prefer the smaller ones.

And the ammo box containes 26 of these buggers.

Just remember to keep them cool.</font>

What ammo box are you using? My have only 24 rounds? (The Flensburg remote trigger grenades are only 20 in a box, even for the 0.33 caliber... :confused: )

Remember German doctrine: firepower first! ROF in second place.

And 24*0,33= 8, while 20*0,5=10!!!

(not to mention blast factor)

Grog! :D

Yes, you're right. The standard ammo box only contains 24 0.33 cartridges.

And although the combined blast factor is sligtly less than the 0.5 version, they're IMO more flexible to handle.

But I recently found out that the 0.33s as well as the 0.5s when used in larger quantities reduce the efficiency of your optics.

I really hope this will be modelled in CMBB.

[ August 15, 2002, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Grog! :D

Yes, you're right. The standard ammo box only contains 24 0.33 cartridges.

And although the combined blast factor is sligtly less than the 0.5 version, they're IMO more flexible to handle.

But I recently found out that the 0.33s as well as the 0.5s when used in larger quantities reduce the efficiency of your optics.

I really hope this will be modelled in CMBB.

Gyrostabilizers are also severly affected by the recoil of the 0.5 or 0.33.

(I understand you don't use the recoilless Gefechtshülsen :D )

At least my smoke discharger works even under the most adverse circumstances

I have invaded Heidelberg twice as a member of the Tourist Brigade. It's one of my favorite cities in Europe. Absolutely beautiful. I have been known to fortify in the Hard Rock Cafe, but never in the McDonalds or Burger King. smile.gif

I'll never forget the day we (about 300 students) wrote some test on national economics when suddenly the doors opened and a group of japanese tourists entered the audimax. Our professor had to explain them that this was the university and we were just writing an important test, so they should please leave immediatly and no, they weren't allowed to take pictures...

:D

Hey, we love our tourists. But sometimes...