Moving PillBoxes?????

Guest Claymorerigh

Guest Claymorerigh

I am playing the Brits against the AI.

I had a paratroop squad moving through a woods.

Half of them litterally moved past a pillbox.

Holy *(&^ says I, and I backed the one team away from the front (they were never fired upon).

I then noticed that the Pillbox is sutiated on the reverse of a slope, i.e. the slit is pointing uphill.

Nasty surprise for someone coming over the hill, thinks I. Then I began to wonder if this was a error on the designers part.

So I dutifully arrange my platoon and assault the pillbox from the rear.

About half-way through the movie, the Pill box vanishes and then reappears on the other side of the hill. Moreover, it is now firing at my armor that was approaching the other side of the hill.

That's one heck of a piece of technology! says I. :D

So, what gives? How can a pillbox move from one side of a hill to the other? Anyone else seen this? :confused:

Needless to say, I'm going to assault it again next turn.

SMB

I'm going to guess what you had was a sound contact of a pillbox. Sound contacts appear "in the area" of where they actually are. So, likely you're troops heard the pillbox. Thought it was "over there somewhere". But then some troopers (or your armor ;) ) actually spotted it and the location became accurate.

Personally, I wish that sound contacts (and "last seen" markers) were not so strongly linked to the object causing the contact. For instance, if a "last seen" marker is selected and the unit that it represents is spotted somewhere else -- even across the map -- the marker disappears and your selection pops to the proper unit. So much for keeping your opponent guessing.

Guest Claymorerigh

Ah. Well that explains it. I haven't had CMBO very long and this was the first time I had seen this.

For a moment I thought I had stumbled upon a "improbability-Pillbox" ala the Improbability drive on the Heart of Gold (Douglas Adams) :D

Thanks,

SMB