Book on Moscow versus Ukraine (1941)

Originally posted by Foxbat:

Whatever popular support the party had would be out the window, ethnic minorities (not to mention the poulation of occupied countries) would run riot, internal strife would gargantuan.

Stalin was quite good in quelling unrest by the original population. See for reference what did he do about the Chechen problem. It did work, too, unlike what they're doing today. Relocate majority of the population to somewhere real far away and import new population.. With suitably diverse ethnic mix so that they don't band together.

As for the reds being cuddly and diplomatic. Praque? Poland?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Stalin was so afraid of war with Germany, why did he go to such great extent to butcher the army's officer corps? I mean, Hitler was preparing for war, and he groomed his army to perfection.

Imagine if Hitler had killed Manstein, and Guderian, and Rommel, and all other experienced generals that saw any action back in the day.

Originally posted by White Phosphorus:

If Stalin was so afraid of war with Germany, why did he go to such great extent to butcher the army's officer corps?.

He thought they were preparing to betray him. The rationality I credited him with in an earlier post did not extend very far into domestic affairs.

There is one school of thought that the Nazis set them up for this, that when the German army was closing up it's secret testing and training grounds in the USSR in the mid-'30s, Heydrich faked a bunch of documents to be "accidentally" left behind that implicated important Red Army officers. I think this idea has more recently been discredited though.

I mean, Hitler was preparing for war, and he groomed his army to perfection.
Er, you are engaging in hyperbole, aren't you?

Michael

[ November 21, 2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]