Temperature Translation

Originally posted by Avram lytton:

I am currently working on an operation that takes place during the Finno-Russian winter war of 1939-40, however, I'm a bit unsure as to the vague temperature definitions of "Frozen" and "Extreme cold" does anyone know roughly what,in celsius, that would translate into?

0 degrees celcius and -30 degrees celcius

KC

Well, water freeze at 0º C, no argue there! smile.gif

However, when I hear "frozen" I'm thinking more around -10º C.

0º C during winter is definitly classified as "mildly", at least here in northern Norway. I guess it depends a lot on your preferences.

Originally posted by Hawk:

Well, water freeze at 0º C, no argue there! smile.gif

However, when I hear "frozen" I'm thinking more around -10º C.

0º C during winter is definitly classified as "mildly", at least here in northern Norway. I guess it depends a lot on your preferences.

Here in southern Canada(hungh, yeah sure!), 0 to -10 is the typical winter temps., and yes everything is frozen. At -30, well, even the brass monkey *stays inside* :D

one of the hibernating Canadians,

KC

Kylmyystaulukko (Suomi)

+10 Helsingin vuokra-asukkaat panevat lämmöt päälle. Lappalaiset

istuttavat kukkia. (Residents of Helsinki living in rented apps turn on the heat. The lapps plant flowers)

+5 Lappailaiset ottavat aurinkoa, jos se sattuu nousemaan horisontin

yläpuolelle. (the lapps sunbathe, if the sun blinks over the horizon)

+2 Italialaiset autot eivät käynnisty. (italian cars won´t start)

0 Tislattu vesi jäätyy (water freezes)

-1 Hengitys muuttuu näkyväksi. Aika suunnitella lomaa Välimerellä.

Lappalaiset syövät jäätelöä ja juovat kylmää olutta. (breathing turns visible. Time to plan a vacation in the mediterranean. The lapps eat icecream and drink cold beer)

-4 Kissa tahtoo samaan sänkyyn. (the cat wants to be in the same bed as you)

-10 Aika suunnitella lomaa Afrikassa. Lappalaiset menevät uimaan. (time to plan a vacation in Africa. The lapps go swimming)

-12 Niin kylmä, ettei edes sada lunta. (so cold it won't even snow)

-15 Ranskalaiset autot eivät käynnisty (french cars won't start)

-18 Helsingin talonomistajat panevat lämmöt päälle. (householders in Helsinki turn on the heat)

-20 Hengitys muuttuu kuuluvaksi. (breathing turns audible)

-22 Amerikkalaiset autot eivät käynnisty. Ei tarkene luistella. (american cars won't start. Too cold to skate)

-23 Poliitikot alkavat surra asunnottomien kohtaloa. (politicians start to care about the fate of the homeless)

-24 Japanilaiset autot eivät käynnisty. (japanese cars won't start)

-26 Hengitystä voi leikata iglun rakennusaineiksi. (breath can be cut for building an iglu)

-29 Kissa tahtoo samaan pyjamaan. (the cat want's to be in your BJs)

-30 Saksalaiset autot eivät käynnisty. Lappalainen kiroaa,

potkaisee renkaaseen ja lähtee käynnistämään Ladaa. (german cars won't start. Lapps kick one of the tires and goe start their Ladas)

-31 Ei tarkene suudella, huulet jäätyisi yhteen. Lapin

jalkapallojoukkue alkaa harjoitella kevätkautta varten. (too cold to kiss, lips would freeze together. Lapland FC starts to practise for the spring season)

-35 Aika suunnitella kahden viikon kuumaa kylpyä.

Lappalaiset lapioivat lunta katolta. (time to plan a two week hot bath. The lapps shovel snow down from the roofs)

-39 Elohopea jäätyy. Ei tarkene ajatella. Lappalaiset

panevat paidan ylimmänkin napin kiinni. (quicksilver freezes. Too cold to think. The lapps button the upmost button of their shirt)

-40 Auto tahtoo samaan sänkyyn. Lappalaiset panevat

villapaidan päälle. (your car want's to be in the same bed as you. The lapps put on a sweater)

-45 Lappalaiset sulkevat kylpyhuoneen sisäikkunan. (the lapps close the inner window of the bathroom)

-50 Merileijonat lähtevät Grönlannista. Lappalaiset vaihtavat

sormikkaat rukkasiin. (sealions emigrate Greenland. The lapps start using mittens)

-70 Jääkarhut lähtevät Pohjoisnavalta. Lapin yliopistolla vietetään

urheiluiltapäivää. (polarbears emigrate the northpole. Lapland UC has a sports evening)

-75 Joulupukki lähtee Napapiiriltä. Lappalaiset laskevat lakin

korvaläpät alas. (Santa leaves the artic circle. The lapps turn down the flaps of their winter hats to cover their ears)

-250 Alkoholi jäätyy. Lappalainen suuttuu. (alcohol freezes. The lapp gets angry)

-268 Helium muuttuu nestemäiseksi. (helium turns to liquid)

-270 Helvetti jäätyy. (hell freezes)

-273,15 Absoluuttinen nollapiste. Kaikki alkeishiukkasten

liike lakkaa. Lappalaisetkin myöntävät, että jo vain alkhaa olla

vähän vilphoista! (absolute zero. All movement of elementary particles stop. Even the lapps admit, that it's beginning to be a bit chilly)

Translated poorly by me ;)

(edited to correct SOME of the typos and mistranslations, was in a bit of a hurry when first posting)

[ November 04, 2002, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: SaTyR ]

Ouch, here in Calgary it sometimes sinks to around -25/30 and in the praires with the wind it's really nasty. It's better in the wooded foothills though. I figured that "Frozen" was probably around zero, however these terms must refer to a range of temperatures and with historical records claiming around -15, I'm not sure what to set the operation temp to. I guess I'm getting a little fussy here though, I might just settle with "frozen".