Upgraded Processor can't get the extra Mghtz

I recently put a 500 mghtz chip in my motherboard replacing my old 350 chip. The processor is still running at 350 instead of 500 mghtz. I have the specks to change the CLKS, the SDram/NBCLKS and the FREQ which are all jumper settings. BUT how the HELL do I set the Ratio which is 100x5. and what the HELL are the PCB and VR? (PCB is 2.0 2.1, VR is 3-4)

I have looked everywhere for help but am always told to read my motherboard manual. The only problem is my motherboard manual is vague as all get out and tells me nothing of how to set ratios and PCBs whatever the hell they are!! Can anybody enlighten me at all?

Mord

Current Intel CPUs are "multiplier locked" meaning that no matter what your jumper configuration is for the multiplier, the CPU will determine its own multiplier. In your case the CPU should be locked to 5X (I assume that this would be the CLKS setting on your motherboard) for 500MHz @ 100MHz FSB (front-side bus; which would be the FREQ setting on your motherboard). How old is your motherboard and do you have a fairly new BIOS for it ? 500MHz CPUs have been out for about 2 years, so I would have thought that it would have been recognized as 500MHz. It's possible that your motherboard doesn't have a silk screen for a 5X multiplier (assuming that your motherboard uses jumpers/switches to make these changes). You may want to "reuse" the lower multiplier settings to get your BIOS to "name" your CPU to 500MHz (it may actually already be running 500MHz - but just not saying it on the boot screen). From the highest multiplier setting (3.5X or 4X or 4.5X ?) start at the lowest as an increase of .5X over the highest (highest 4.0X - lowest 1.5X - 5X would be equivalent to 2X).

PCB stands for Printed Circuit Board and VR possibly standard for Version/Revision. It sounds like that there have be updates to the hardware design of your motherboard. This can affect what CPUs, video cards, etc. are compatible with your motherboard. In the case of BIOS updates, some of them may only work with particular revisions/updates of your motherboard (PCB).

To confirm your CPU's speed you may want to try a program like Sisoft's Sandra:

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10102-100-5462327.html

Thanks for the link the program is excellent! It says I am running at 351 mghtz, thank god cause I wasn't noticing a damn bit of difference in my comps performance since I put the chip in. I was thinking that it may be running at 500 and just not saying it in the boot up, but as I said thank god it's not.

Ok I semi understood what you were saying in your above post. I am new to the whole cpu installing and jargon,having only encountered installation of cards such as 3D and sound so far. I actually put this motherboard in myself but it was just a newer version of my previous one which had burned out.

Here are my motherboard specs if this can help. I am using a PA2013(EO036 version)with a VIA APOLLO chip set, socket seven By FIC.

So are you saying that the Ratio, PCB and VR are set when I set the jumpers or do I set them some other way? This is where I am totally lost.

BTW I appreciate the help. If you'd like you can just email me the answer, address is in my profile. Thanks again.

Mord.

The PCB is the motherboard. The numerical information with the PCB is indicating the version of the motherboard (changes were made in the design since it was initially released). VR most likely means voltage regulator or something like that (though 3-4 volts is too high for any brand of 500MHz CPU - so the numbers aren't representative of actual voltage).

I just realized that your CPU isn't an Intel, but an AMD K6-2 500MHz. I looked up the info for your motherboard on FIC's Taiwan site.

Assuming that your PCB rev. is 2.1 (I'm not sure what 2.0's compatibility is with the 500/550MHz AMDs).

These are the following jumper settings you'll need for your AMD K6-2 500MHz:

Voltage is 2.2V. VR needs to be set to jumper pins 3-4 (this is your current setting apparently).

I assume that you have PC100 DIMMs installed. Most likely you shouldn't have to change these settings, but to double check:

NBCLK1 is 2-3, SDRAM is 2-3, NBCLK2 is 1-2 and CLK4 is 1-2 (pin 1 is always closest to the rear of the computer on this motherboard).

The External Frequency (FSB as I called it earlier) is 100MHz for the 500MHz CPU. This is the frequency that you were using for the 350MHz CPU:

CLK1 is 1-2, CLK2 is 1-2 and CLK3 is 2-3

The next set of jumpers is probably something that you've missed. The CPU to Bus Frequency Ratio does have the 5.0X setting. These jumpers are above (assuming you have your motherboard mounted in an ATX tower case) the IDE connectors. For 5.0X multiplier:

FREQ1 is 1-2, FREQ2 is 2-3 and FREQ3 is 2-3

The latest BIOS for your motherboard is JI438. FIC's numbering scheme for BIOSs is a bit loopy, but this one dates to 4-8-2000.

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Thaaaaank You! Schrullencraft! I got'er on the first try. I really appreciate your efforts to help. Again Thank you!

One more question. Will my machine benefit from updating my bios? Will it help with it's performance even though things are fine right now?

Mord.

Most BIOS updates are for compatibility reasons, to allow for larger hard drives or to add support for new CPUs, etc. Sometimes you may see a performance boost with a BIOS update, but that is rare. In fact, depending on compatibility issues that have to be addressed, sometimes you may see a reduction in speed.

FIC posts a couple of details on the BIOS upgrade, so it may be worth it to look through them. Generally it is a good idea to upgrade the BIOS, but most manufacturers say not to unless you're seeing a problem.