Recrewing AT guns

Guest Mike

I think this has at least been touched on before.

I'm pretty sure I had a 45mm AT gun recerwed in a couple of games last night. I remember checking all teh guns & noting that all those in a particular positin were KO'ed or abandioned, but then a couple of turns later one of them starts firing again.

I didn't see it happen &, can't remember any details beyond what I've written, but I'll be keeping an eye out for it in the future.

I've never seen an actually 'killed' (gun pointing down) AT-gun come back to life, but I've seen more than a few times the crew dive for their foxholes until it's safe to start shooting again.

Unless you're talking about something more serious. I remember a couple nights ago thinking one of my tanks at the far end of the board had been K.O.'d and abandoned, but on the next move it was back firing again. Either I simply got mixed-up on which vehicle got hit (it was in the middle of a real fur-ball battle), or really it did spring back to life and we've got a bug in the system. Unless I can duplicate the problem I'm tending to blame myself.

I believe I have seen this happen myself. I had 3 guns in a group and had checked them all. I was sure that they were all abandoned or knocked out. A couple of turns later one of them started shooting again. I have watched very carefully for it since and have not seen it again. Maybe I was mistaken and miss-read it but I don't think so. Is there any word from BFC if this is possible. It does seem kind of reasonable that a crew in a foxhole beside a gun could return to the gun.

• 1 month later...

No it doesn't. Neither side will recrew in CMBB or CMBO. WHat you may have seen is a crew that disapeared out of sight because they were hiding or pinned down but recrewing of guns, once they have been abandoned is not modeled.

Madmatt

[ October 11, 2002, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

It'd be real nice if you could recrew the guns.

Today just cursed when the PaK 40 crew was pinned down by single T34 (who fortunately was under fire by StuG) and just few seconds before T34 got killed, they fled.

Then I just told them to go back in their pit and there they sit drinking tea next to their gun :(

Originally posted by Fishu:

It'd be real nice if you could recrew the guns.

Today just cursed when the PaK 40 crew was pinned down by single T34 (who fortunately was under fire by StuG) and just few seconds before T34 got killed, they fled.

Then I just told them to go back in their pit and there they sit drinking tea next to their gun :(

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but it would be a nice touch to be able to re-crew and gun, or vehicle, with a crew that's regained it's composure, as long as there were enough crew members to operate it, of course. That would also give more incentive to make sure the gun or vehicle is fully knocked out before continuing.

The other thing that has often been discussed before on similar threads is that any decent gun crew will spike their gun before abandoning it. That would make recrewing the gun a bit pointless -- except maybe in operations.

Why cant the guns be re-crewed? I've read plenty of wartijme accounts where single crewman stayed at their gun firing, even when the rest of the crew were incapacitated.

Surely it would be more historically accurate for any crew remainder (unless panicked) would return to an undamaged gun and continue the fight if feasable to do so ?

Could this be done in a patch if others agree?