Appendix D: WTF BTS?

A quick search turned up no references to this issue, so let me be the first to register a complaint...

Lads, I love the game and all, but Appendix D of the CMBB English manual is a Table of Contents, not an Index. A proper index, as the CMBO manual had, would be much appreciated in future editions of the game.

INDEX

(in·deks)

n. pl. in·dex·es or in·di·ces

1. Something that serves to guide, point out, or otherwise facilitate reference, especially:

(a) An alphabetized list of names, places, and subjects treated in a printed work, giving the page or pages on which each item is mentioned.

(B) A thumb index.

© A table, file, or catalog.

2. Something that reveals or indicates; a sign: “Her face... was a fair index to her disposition” (Samuel Butler).

3. A character used in printing to call attention to a particular paragraph or section. Also called fist, hand.

4. An indicator or pointer, as on a scientific instrument.

5. (a) Mathematics. A number or symbol, often written as a subscript or superscript to a mathematical expression, that indicates an operation to be performed, an ordering relation, or a use of the associated expression.

(B) A number derived from a formula, used to characterize a set of data.

6. Index Roman Catholic Church. A list formerly published by Church authority, restricting or forbidding the reading of certain books.

Moon or Kwazydog already said that they had some problem w/ making an Index, so they nixed it. I wanted one too, since I wound up carefully checking for differences in material that was common to both the CMBO and CMBB booklets. It wasn't until I read the "Ostfront" section at the back (which IMHO should be in the front) which is the CMBO Veterans guide to what has been changed or added.

SM

Ah, found it -- Sept. 20, 2002:

...after a first try to make a more common version of an index (alphabetical) it turned out to be more of a mess than helpful in finding the stuff you need. There were like several dozen entries for "morale", and I haven't counted how many for "unit". The index started out at 25 pages of relevant terms...

Martin

Hire an editor, lads... Hire an editor.

By way of comparison, Charles Carey's A General History of Oregon is just over 800 pages long and has an index that itself runs to 100 pages and change. For a 250 page manual covering a game with CMBB's steep learning curve and insane... er, obses... um, let's just go with "meticulous" attention to detail, 25 pages sounds like a good start.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Specs:

Blah Blah

So instead of bitching and stating the obvious with lame posts cribbed from the Dictionary, why not type up a useful index and release it to the community as a Word document? I'm sure it would be appreciated.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.</font>

So instead of bitching and stating the obvious with lame posts cribbed from the Dictionary, why not type up a useful index and release it to the community as a Word document?

It crossed my mind that it might not have been obvious to the manual's author that leaving out a proper alphabetical index was something of a violation of etiquette in this situation. You know, being that it's a 250 page manual covering a bewildering array of topics from land mines to airstrikes, and all...

I don't know if Martin is a professional editor or not, so I offered a definition of the word from a neutral third party to establish that what was labeled "Index" in the manual was no such thing. And as it turns out, I'd never heard of definition number six, so I couldn't bring myself to cut the text short. I guess that was your tough luck, Michael, but it wasn't done with malice.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

If you're not a paid employee, you're a customer. Of course, I can't stop you or anyone else from spending your valuable time correcting the oversights of the nice people who make this game I enjoy so very much, but by your logic if I were to purchase a new car that turned out to be defective, I would be somehow remiss if I merely brought the defect to the manufacturer's attention instead of bombing around the country fixing all the other cars suffering from the same defect.

All of which, I suppose, could be expressed a bit more succinctly as: Dude -- get a grip!

Alright... I think it is time this thread gets locked up. Specs... obviously we know what the heck an Index is, seeing as we put one in the CMBO manual. So I don't know what asking "WTF?" and quoting dictionaries was supposed to do except get a heated thread started. Your basic opinion has already been noted and discussed, no need to rehash it.

Steve