How do I tow ATGs during a battle?

Can't figure this out. Two 88mm ATGs and 2 Gun Trailers. During Setup Phase, I can

(P)lace the gun over the trailer and it will Embark, then the truck will happily tow the gun wherever I wish. If I begin with the guns in place, I can't manage to limber and move them.

I have ordered the truck to reverse right up to the back of the gun, but it will not Embark, and the gun has no Move option, only Rotate, so I can't order the gun to embark. In this case, the guns are on defense and begin in foxholes. Does this prevent them from moving?

How do I get these darn guns to limber?

There are two different 88mm AT guns in the game. One is a true AT gun (with wheels)and the other is the anti-aircraft version (without wheels). It sounds like you have the anti-aircraft version which is a non-mobile gun.

If I'm wrong and you really do have the AT version, then it could be because the gun is too heavy for the crew to push. I havn't had any experience with the AT version of the 88, so I really wouldn't know.

Originally posted by Greymorn:

Thanks, Tanks. I assume you mean they also cannot limber during a battle.

Which guns can/can't? where do I find this information?

Yes that's what I meant. I did a search and someone said only the "big guns" can't limber and move.

[This message has been edited by Tanks a Lot (edited 03-08-2001).]

Originally posted by Greymorn:

Thanks, Tanks. I assume you mean they also cannot limber during a battle.

Which guns can/can't? where do I find this information?

Well IIRC, the guns that can't limber during battle include all 88s, Pak and AA, and the 90mm AA. I think I found out the hard way smile.gif

Played with this a little more last night. Indeed, 88's and above can't be limbered during battle, though they can start limbered during Setup and unlimbered once during the battle. All infantry guns, even the 150mm, can be moved, limbered and unlimbered during a battle. Some of the infantry guns have better penetration with their © HEAT rounds than the big ATGs!

The annoying thing is, you can't tell which guns can be towed when you're buying units, all of them have Speed: limited. Only during the battle can you see the true speed markings.

Yeah, this is the ONLY aspect of CM that is less than spectacular to me - - the player's guide/manual. It seems that this is the sort of information that should be included in the manual, in a table or something along with info like distance of travel of units under various condtions per minute. I guess the cost of printing all the pages that would require would get to be pretty significant. But even if it's just a file in the game, that would help. I realize that a lot of info can be found on the unit when you hit "enter", but a table with this kind of info would really help. Many thanks to Chris Hare who put together a unit "fire power" table: that is exactly the type of format I'm thinking of.