New Operation - "Little Stalingrad"

Am looking for testers - 20 battles, 10 turns each, large map (city on cliff overlooking a harbour) with Canadian infantry attacking German paratroopers.

Operations are tricky - I'm trying to get the turns and reinforcements "right." Anyone interested email me at madorosh@home.com or post a response here.

This one is the battle of Ortona, Italy from December 1943, but the unit mix of CMBO works for this time period. There are only a couple of paths for tanks to take through the city, and hopefully the short battles will simulate the "meatgrinder" type operation this was. The town was only 1200 metres long and 600 metres wide, yet the two forces fought there for over a week. I am hoping the turns are long enough to enable the Allies to make it to the end of the map in the time required, but not long enough to enable him to make large breakthroughs or flanking sweeps in any given battle.

Would be better with tunnel, sewer and mouseholing rules, but hey....

Not for anyone with a slow computer, unfortunately.

*** vague spoiler ***

I'm about halfway thru Little Stalingrad now and let me tell you... this one is a gruesome, infantry meat-grinder. And I love it. I'll not mention specifics so as not to spoil it for others, but Michael will understand what I'm saying when I utter these phrases together:

Shoreline.

Infantry gun.

Oh, the inhumanity!

Great job Michael. I'd highly recommend this op. to anyone who enjoys big (and I mean friggin' huge) infantry battles. The carnage is exquisite. This is better than Ray Liota eating his own brain!

(It's also great to see a few people creating scenarios for DFDR already. Keep it up fellas, not long now!)

Clubfoot.

[This message has been edited by Clubfoot (edited 02-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Clubfoot (edited 02-22-2001).]

*** vague spoiler ***

Great job Michael. I'd highly recommend this op. to anyone who enjoys big (and I mean friggin' huge) infantry battles. The carnage is exquisite. This is better than Ray Liota eating his own brain!

Thanks very much. To be honest, I'm not a fan of huge scenarios, especially not against the AI. Hopefully you'll have time to give me some specifics once (if) you get the thing completed.

EDIT with SPOILER- oh, by the way, if you're saying what I think you're saying -

I added the IGs because in my playtest run, I could simply take a platoon or two and run them along the shore, and half the map would belong to me at battle's end. I hope this means that such an unrealistic tactic has been prevented!

SPOILER ENDS

[This message has been edited by Michael Dorosh (edited 02-22-2001).]

***more spoilin'***

Prevented? Indeed sir. Is "prevented with prejudice" a phrase which currently exists? It is now.

My hard-boiled company of Canucks (and I took some real tough-guys up that damned shoreline!) were positively pasted during their probe up the water's edge! And the crew of the one gun I saw held their water until I was a mere 120m out. I'm still picking pieces of Canadian Rifleman off of my monitor.

I've not often derived this much fun from being served up tar-tar fashion by the AI. The old 'puter handed me my ass on that beach! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

*** no more spoilin' ***

Clubfoot.

Originally posted by Clubfoot:

[b

(It's also great to see a few people creating scenarios for DFDR already. Keep it up fellas, not long now!)

That reminds me, I haven't heard from Mike since he sent me the textures, so I'll ask again, do I send the maps to you or Mike?

------------------

Charlie don't Surf

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM