CMBB US release and copy protection

After reading through the thread about the CMBB distribution, I have a couple of questions concerning the US release of CMBB.

1.) Will there be any difference in the EULA from CMBO. Specifically, that we can burn a copy for backup. I did this almost right away and have never used the original CD in 2 years.

2.) This actually is dependent on #1, will there be any copy protection crap on the US release of CMBB. I ask because I have run into problems in the past (as have many others) with games that use crap like SafeDisk or somefink. My previous computer actually suffered damage to the CD-ROM drive from a game that used this kind of copy protection.

Keith

Can't vouch for CMBB but CDV's CMBO uses SafeDisk and that's why there's no Mac version on it.

And some browsing in both the Tech Forum here or at CombatFrance.com which is CDV's CM French Site led me to fear that many users had such probs with their DVD drives.

Yes, if you are a PC user, you should definately fear SafeDisk. (big, steaming pile-o-monkeystuff)

Guess this is a time when it is good to be a Mac user in Europe.

But as a PC user in the USA, I would like to know what BTS/BFC's plans are.

Keith

I'd guess that BTS/BFC will not be using SafeDisc. If they feel that CMBO didn't lose too much in sales to pirating, then they may stick to their previous copy protection scheme. As far as I'm aware SafeDisc has licensing fees that may be tied to the number of copies created. If BTS/BFC feel that they've lost a significant number of sales to pirating, then they may consider the SafeDisc license (and the licensing fee's erosion of the profit margin).

SafeDisc is used on the CDV release in Europe because they requested it. CDV feels that pirating in Europe is common enough that they needed this type of copy protection.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

I'd guess that BTS/BFC will not be using SafeDisc.

This is my hope as well.

SafeDisc is used on the CDV release in Europe because they requested it. CDV feels that pirating in Europe is common enough that they needed this type of copy protection.

I saw this in the thread about European distribution. I know that the CDV release is much different.

I guess I'm concerned as there seems to be more and more companies using locking features like this. That they want to protect their product is not what concerns me, that is their right. But when it makes a game unplayable or starts affecting my computer, then it seems unreasonable.

My 2 cents and probably making a mountain out of a molehill...

Keith