New 9700pro+catalyst 3.2=Black screen

Hello guys.

I recently got myself a 9700pro while before, I had a gf2 mx 400. Uninstalled my old detonator drivers, plugged in my card, installed 3.2 + ati control panel then tried to run CMBB. All i get is a black screen and my monitor message of 'out of range'.

I realise some people inthis forum have had similiar problems, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my problem. I didn't even try to turn on FSAA or Ani, just defaults atm.

Any suggestions, guys? Thanks.

i'm not positive, but i think you're talking about changing the rez/refresh in the game and that can be re-set by deleting a really small file in the game directory called "combat mission bynd ovr prefs". This will allow you to set the vid settings fresh next time you start the game.

Btw, for cmbb it's called "combat mission BB prefs".

[ March 22, 2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: easytarget ]

Which Windows version are you running ? The 'out of range' problem you speak of usually has to do with vertical refresh rates or resolutions that are beyond the monitor's capability (as you've surmised). Deleting the Prefs file should force CM to go through the resolution selection process. It's possible that the first resolutions attempted may be beyond your monitor's capabilities (though your videocard/video driver are capable of them). If you immediately get an 'out of range' error when you launch CM (and assuming that there isn't a Prefs file already) you may want to avoid hitting the Enter key. Just wait 5 seconds or so and the refresh rate should change (and eventually the resolution once the refresh rate reaches 60Hz). The first resolution attempted is usually your current desktop resolution, but CM will use the highest refresh rate available to the video driver at that resolution.

Another issue to be aware of is that there is a patch for Windows 2000/XP (WM_TIMER security issue, Q328310) that causes some 'black screen' issues with CM (and possibly a few other DirectX games). You should find this patch in your Add/Remove Programs control panel listing. Removing this patch may help your problem. However it does make you vulnerable to a particular kind of attack (which is probably extremely rare). Once a new Service Pack for Windows 2000 or XP is released the option to delete this particular patch won't exist anymore.

Some people have had mixed results with the newest Catalyst drivers. Catalyst 2.3 seems to have worked for most people and I believe it supports the Radeon 9700's. So that may be one more thing to consider.