Apparent smoke problem

I am currently playing a scenario where I had 2 81mm mortar spotters firing smoke, each one fired for about 30 seconds of the previous turn. At the end of the turn, rounds that had landed but not started smoking all started spewing smoke. I then launched my infantry assault the next turn under a nice protective smoke blanket. Shortly after my infantry got into the open all the smoke disappeared, even though the mortars were firing continuously. It seems that the game registered the rounds that hit near the end of the turn as starting to smoke earlier than they actually should have. This makes it very difficult to launch an assault using 81mm mortars for smoke cover because the smoke just doesn't stay around that long. After a little bit the smoke from the current turns rounds started to appear.

Has this been brought up before? If it has, is there a solution in the works?

Yup, this has come up on this board (I think it was here, if not it was tips & tricks prol'y).

The conjecture we came up with is that it's been a problem all along (i.e. even in CMBO), but without wind the problem is, well, not so much of a problem . And really, it only shows up with small smoke mortars.

Basically, if you play in anything stronger than breeze, you need to be aware that there will be a 10-25 second window where there is no smoke covering you. Plan accordingly.

I don't believe we ever got any comment about whether or not it would, or even could, be addressed with a patch. If you can find the thread, you'll see that there are other negatives to the "over 60 second" phenomena.

[Edit]

Wow, and there you have it. At least it's being looked at smile.gif

[ October 29, 2002, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]

The conjecture we came up with is that it's been a problem all along (i.e. even in CMBO), but without wind the problem is, well, not so much of a problem . And really, it only shows up with small smoke mortars.
I've observed it with light (76mm) artillery smoke as well.