What distinguishes High-res from Low-res?

Well, besides in-game image quality. What I mean is, what settings does a mod have to have in photoshop to be considered high-res? What settings should I go about changing? For example, Does higher PI (72 vs. 144) amount to a higher res image?

I guess what I'm actually asking is how in the hell you create a high-res mod. This should not be mistaken with 'how do I mod?', because I'm making good progress in that departement mind you, but I'm ashamed because I'm not creating a CPU burduning mod like I'd like to be doing. The images I'm taking material from are very sharp, and I'd like to take advantage of that. [300PI images]

Thanks in advance.

[ November 04, 2002, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: AnonymousOxide ]

I would suggest pulling a couple hi res mods into photoshop (or what have you) and doing a compare/contrast with their equivalent low res cousins.... CMBO might be easiest as if you don't have some handy, you could just pull Berman's plainpack shermans for a paltry 8 megs combined download and compare them.

Originally posted by AnonymousOxide:

Well, besides in-game image quality. What I mean is, what settings does a mod have to have in photoshop to be considered high-res? What settings should I go about changing? For example, Does higher PI (72 vs. 144) amount to a higher res image?

I guess what I'm actually asking is how in the hell you create a high-res mod. This should not be mistaken with 'how do I mod?', because I'm making good progress in that departement mind you, but I'm ashamed because I'm not creating a CPU burduning mod like I'd like to be doing. The images I'm taking material from are very sharp, and I'd like to take advantage of that. [300PI images]

Thanks in advance.

The size of a graphic in pixels (512x512 for example) determines the resolution. Changing the DPI or the amount of colors have no effect on framerates in CM. There is no definite rule as to what is high or low res. Anything bigger than the stock BMPs usually was considered hi-res for CM:BO. The graphics in CM:BB are generally larger.

Originally posted by Tanks a Lot:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AnonymousOxide:

Thanks in advance.

The size of a graphic in pixels (512x512 for example) determines the resolution. Changing the DPI or the amount of colors have no effect on framerates in CM. There is no definite rule as to what is high or low res. Anything bigger than the stock BMPs usually was considered hi-res for CM:BO. The graphics in CM:BB are generally larger.</font>

Originally posted by AnonymousOxide:

Take the stock front hull BMP, it's resolution is 512x256, but if I were to raise the res to anything beyond 512x256, then CMBB wont except it.

It'll take it if the bmp's height-width ratio remains the same. ie: 1024x512, 256x128, 32x16, 2x1 should all work. CM seems happiest if the ratio adjustment is a multiple of two, either up or down.

[edit] Actually, you can scale any one bmp dimension, as long as it is by the multiple of two. So 512x512, 512x128, 1024x128 are all valid sizes.

A point to remember is that the standard CMBB textures are the same size as a CMBO 'high-res' texture.

[ November 04, 2002, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: Marco Bergman ]

Yes they are the same size, I noted that after reviewing some of the CMBO HR mods. Well since CMBB mods are the same size as cmbo's, should I expect that we will increase the size yet again and create ultra high-res mods? Or is everyone sticking to the 512x256 etc.?

I'm really curious what Gordons new Mod release is going to look like. Christmas is coming early for CMBB fans. ^^

CM will only accept certain proportions, has something to do with binary coding or some-such computer stuff.

bmp art can have a pixel width or height of 8 ,16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, etc. pixels per inch. as long as your dimensions use these numbers they should run in the game.

A word of warning about Hi-Res graphics though. CMBB standard graphics are pretty much equivalent to Hi-Res 3rd party graphics in CMBO. With one or two minor exceptions you should be able to dump bucketloads of extra detail into standard size CMBB bmps without needing to double the resolution.

Besides, if you up the file size too much all that'll happen is the game will automatically down-res the graphics so it'll run on your video card anyway!