A question on AFV purchasing and CMBB

I was wondering, with the inclusion of plt. hq AFVs, how the purchasing of AFVs will be installed.

In a QB, i am guessing, it will be cheaper to buy 4 mark IVs as a plt then it is to buy 4 seperate mark IVs. This is how it is done with inf. forces now, (cheaper to buy company of inf. then 4 seperate plt.). This plt. of Mark IV will then come with a hq tank.

Here are my questions, in a QB say you only have enough points for 2 or 3 AFVs. Will the computer designate the first AFV purchased as a Hq unit or will you have to pay extra for an Hq?

What if you only have one AFV and it is not a hq unit? Do you have to pay the large "out of command" penelty if the one AFV you own is not a Hq unit?

Also, if your forces consist of 2 panthers, a tiger, and a stug, could one panther Hq command all these units, even if they are all different kinds of vehicles.

IIRC, there could well be mixed types at higher command levels, i.e., a gruppe of 20 Panthers and 20 MkIVs.

But when it came down to business, a Zug was always homogeneous, at least on paper.

In real life however, you might well have had an agglomeration of whatever was at hand put under the ranking officer at the moment.

I always assumed that by war's end it was anything that was available armor-wise for the Germans. Not to say everything would be mixed together in one unit, but if only two of your six Panthers will start that morning and there's a Stug unit almost out of gas a short distance away it must have tempting for the ranking officer to commandeer the nearby vehicles for his use. Thoughts? Comments?

Yes, but should that out of gas Stug then benefit from the bonuses of being in command or not, if it:

a) has not trained with the other vehicles as a unit

B) has never had any dealings with experience of its new commander

c) is unsuitable to work according to the FM with some Panthers in the first place, because it is a Stug?

One of my hopes is about satellite armor. I know in other games (SP & SPwaw) you end up with too many Hungarian Mk IVs, Romanian Tigers ... This is inspite if rarity factors that are supposed to deal with this sort of thing.

interesting points.

Anyone have information on all German Panzer HQ tanks? Which ones had guns, which ones just had mgs and a fake guns.

will everyone try and buy the HQ Pzs that have main guns when CMBB comes out?

Its going to be anthema for many people to have a tank on the battlefield that can't contribute to routing the enemy.

Mr Johnson,

I am away from my books now but IIRC the Panther and King Tiger maintained their main guns, the extra radio equipment taking up ammo space. I am sure that Tiger I vehicles also retained there weapons also. I know up to the Panzer III the main guns were taken off, and am not sure about the Panzer IV. IIRC also the Stugs maintained their main armament also.

Cooper,

I love 5 or so Hetzers working together. Ask that one guy I play all the time, I think his name is TREE or BRANCH or some tree-hugger enviroment loving freak (although he says it he uses it because it is the name of some river of the dead or somethin :D ) He loves it when folks use massed Hetzers.

Later

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Priest:

Another note, again IIRC the Panzer III command tank was used to command tanks of other design.<hr></blockquote>

I think there maybe a bit of confusion here. I am sure that degunned command tanks would be at least Coy HQ, if not Battalion HQ. This would be the stripped Panzer III commanding a Battalion of Panthers you are thinking about. At that level you need the space because you are most likely equipped with two radios, one to command your battalion, and one to link back to division net.

Platoon HQ would certainly be in a gunned tank, because it only needs one radio set.

AFAIK in the Commonwealth you would not get degunned command tanks below regimental (BN) level. Platoon commanders certainly would be in a fully armed tank. Just imagine 1/5 or 1/4th of your tanks coming to the party without main gun. Bit of a waste.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Priest:

I love 5 or so Hetzers working together. Ask that one guy I play all the time, I think his name is TREE or BRANCH or some tree-hugger enviroment loving freak (although he says it he uses it because it is the name of some river of the dead or somethin :D ) He loves it when folks use massed Hetzers.

<hr></blockquote>

I'm going to let you buy as many bloody hetzers as you want in our next battle!.

After i leave them in scraps of twisted burning metal i hopefully i won't have to hear about this anymore! ;)

Why you are at it, why not buy a SMG Battalion and a company of Flak vehicles!

;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Cooper,

I love 5 or so Hetzers working together. Ask that one guy I play all the time, I

think his name is TREE or BRANCH or some tree-hugger enviroment loving freak

(although he says it he uses it because it is the name of some river of the dead

or somethin ) He loves it when folks use massed Hetzers.

Later <hr></blockquote>

Hey priest,

I am not saying the hetzers are bad, in fact it is the opposite. They are a very cheap tank destroyer with a decent gun and low silhoutte. In almost every QB I played they make an apperance. But the fact is, if you have to purchase a plt. of them to avoid "out of command status" the lack of ability to kill inf. will curtail their use outside of huge battles.

Does command and control just show the ability to communicate with each other? If so, one Hq should be able to control 4 different types of tanks. If it shows the training these units have engaged in together, than you shouldn't be able to mix and match.

One other thing is Hq with radios and AFvs with radios. The command and control for german afvs (some russian afvs lack radios early on)should almost cover the board. They should be able to relay orders just as quickly 20m away or 2000m away as long as the radio works.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Cooper ]</p>

NP Cooper.

Damnit Stix you guessed my UBER GAMEY TO&E for our next battle. It was a whole theme force purchase. And while I will not take you up on your offer for the SMG and FLAK troops I just may for the Hetzer (as it is realisc to have on defense).

Of course on the attack I think we can agree that nothing beats a deluge of armor eh Stix?

Speaking of which, when are we going to play to finish that one?