Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Modeling MGs: RoF vs. caliber

In modeling machine guns, does the game engine differentiate between the effects of caliber size and rate of fire? It seems to me that rate of fire is more important for suppression effects, and caliber is more important for penetration. I seem to remember reading that a .50 caliber machine gun, for instance, had a relatively slow rate of fire for a machinegun.

They modeled the penetration effects of the guns, so I think that takes into affect caliber. And they of course have different ROF.

All I know, is that that Soviet HMG, the DsK 12.5MM (sp?) is absolutely lethal against light armour, and has far better penetration than any other HMG.

Olle is correct.

Small arms Fire Power is an abastracted calculation of caliber, RoF, and inherent accuracy. Charles might have some other things computed into small arms Fire Power, but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. This FP rating is what is used to determine things such as suppression, casualites, damage to vehicles/houses, ability to penetrate cover, etc.

Steve