Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Info on "Stuart Kangaraoo"

IWM Duxford's Land Warfare Hall has a Stuart Kangaroo standing there. They say it was used as a prime mover for the 17-pdr. Their version has a machine gun aperture for a .303. Picture to follow sometime. I just bought a new scanner, and need to get the film developed.

Kiwis used Stuart 'Kangaroos' as recce vehicles too. They came into use after Cassino, around May '44. They don't seem to have been known by the 'Kangaroo' term though - rather they seem to have been known as Honeys even after the turret was removed.

Most show a pintle mounted .30 MG. Some had their compartments covered over to a greater or lesser degree.

Originally posted by ropey:

Kiwis used Stuart 'Kangaroos' as recce vehicles too. They came into use after Cassino, around May '44. They don't seem to have been known by the 'Kangaroo' term though - rather they seem to have been known as Honeys even after the turret was removed.

Most show a pintle mounted .30 MG. Some had their compartments covered over to a greater or lesser degree.

Yeah, previous discussions have gone over this, but I haven't heard that NZers used .30s - thanks for the info. Sorry, I was just posting for rune's benefit mostly; we had tried to figure out where the "Kangaroo" designation came from and IIRC we weren't successful. I thought it was interesting, though, that while I was aware of recce applications (like the one you mention), including additions of .50 cal MGs, I wasn't aware of any infantry battalions having one permanently on strength as this one apparently was. Kind of an interesting tidbit. Amazing how armoured vehicles would get reattached - the South Alberta Regiment, for example, "found" an anti-aircraft tank and kept it on strength for the whole war.

You would think a tracked vehicle would be a hard thing to misplace....

Originally posted by Doug Beman:

Umm...Andreas...scanners don't use film. Did you buy it off the back of a truck in Slough?

DjB

LOL Slough - if only you knew how funny that is smile.gif Well, film developed and pictures printed of it - that better?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The Kiwis 'found' a T2 tank recovery vehicle outside Cassino. After some dodgy efforts to recover it* they managed to keep it for the course of the war.

*"The next night with the aid of the L.A.D. Scammell anchored to a bridge by a long wire rope and the T2 motors going we attempted to remove the monster from the bog. All we achieved was to attract a mortar barrage and to suspend the Scammell between the tank and the bridge so that it could almost be spun between the two ropes."

(20th Armoured Regimental History)