Graphics Issues

I feel CMBO is not running like it should considering the equipment I have.

Pentium IV

1.7 Mhz Processor

256 RAM

Windows 98 (2nd Edition, Win XP annoyed me so I installed 98)

Nvidia GeForce2 400 MX 64 MB (blah, blah, blah)

I recently installed the latest Nvidia driver (their terminator, or whatever it is called driver)

What I am experiencing is the occasional stutter. I will be gliding across a map when it jumps or gets choppy for a second then continues. This happens at any height on the map and also affects the sounds. It kid of skips. Any sollutions?

Originally posted by reichpapers:

I feel CMBO is not running like it should considering the equipment I have.

Pentium IV

1.7 Mhz Processor

256 RAM

Windows 98 (2nd Edition, Win XP annoyed me so I installed 98)

Nvidia GeForce2 400 MX 64 MB (blah, blah, blah)

I recently installed the latest Nvidia driver (their terminator, or whatever it is called driver)

What I am experiencing is the occasional stutter. I will be gliding across a map when it jumps or gets choppy for a second then continues. This happens at any height on the map and also affects the sounds. It kid of skips. Any sollutions?

I think you are having the same problem I am. I just posted a thread here about it the occasional camera stickiness, which is what I assume you're talking about.

"This is a little annoyance that's been plaguing me since I got my new computer. When I'm on the battlefield and I move the camera around, particularly when I'm rotating it around by moving the mouse to the left & right edges of the screen, the camera will rotate, "stick" for a little bit, and then contintue on. This is definitely not a framerate issue as everything is totaly smooth during the rotating, except when the screen sticks for a little bit. Does anyone else with the same vid card have this problem? Are there any settings for the card I can change that might alleviate this. I already have the latest drivers which have reduced the problem a little from the default ones that came with my computer.

Here are my system specs:

AMD 1900+ 1.6ghz

512 Ram

GeForce3 Ti500

Windows XP"

[ May 01, 2002, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Captain Wacky ]

Both of you are running newer motherboards that are probably configured via ACPI. This scheme usually stuffs all PCI (which include on-board sound, USB, etc.) and AGP devices onto one IRQ. This can be a bit of a problem. I can't quantify how much of a performance hit that this configuration can be, but the more devices you have (and the more often that they're active), the more likely you'll see such stuttering. This is my opinion however and I have no refrences to back it up with.

Have you both installed the latest chipset drivers for your OS ? The newest Intels and any non-Intel chipset probably need to have the chipset drivers installed. One of the primary differences is AGP support (though often this may only affect compatability issues and not necessarily performance).

Tinkering around in the CMOS/BIOS setup may help also. Not all motherboards support changing the AGP Aperture, but this is one setting you may want to increase from the default (usually 64Mb). A recommended setting is half of your total system RAM (though this setting will typically max out at 256Mb). This may do next to nothing for you, but it is worth trying. I'm not sure if any 'PCI Latency' adjustments may help here or not (lower number ?); something else related is called 'ICH Delayed Transaction' which you may want to enable (found on newer Intel chipsets).

[ May 01, 2002, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

You can look at your motherboard manual if you received one. Most Pentium 4's will be using the Intel 850 or 845 chipsets. There are some SIS and some VIA chipsets out there for Pentium 4, but no where near as many as the Intel ones.

You can get the latest Intel chipset drivers from here, just select your OS and then select the latest INF installer (you'll need an unzipping program). After extracting to a directory run the setup program and it should update some of the drivers.

To access the CMOS/BIOS setup for most motherboards involves pressing the Delete key during boot up (as in during or before the memory count). This should bring you into the CMOS/BIOS setup. The AGP Aperture Size setting may be found in the 'Advanced Chipset' menu, but the menu options will vary depending on the brand of BIOS, etc. Quite a few (especially name brand) computers don't allow for any adjustment of the AGP Aperture.

[ May 02, 2002, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

To access the CMOS/BIOS setup for most motherboards involves pressing the Delete key during boot up...

Or the F1 key. There should be a message during the inital boot sequence to the effect of, "Hit the <F1> key to enter Setup."