Valley pillboxes are solid

I'm waiting for my copy of CM, but the demo has been very enjoyable. However, I have found that the pillboxes are virtually indestructable. The 75mm box rips my tanks apart every time, and when the interlocking fields of fire it takes massive amounts of troops to take out the MG bunkers. Is the 105 simply unable to destroy these things or is my aim that bad?

------------------

Upon the fields of friendly strife, are sown the seeds of Victory.

---Douglas McArthur

Guest grunto

try hiding your sherman 105s at the start. i've found that a good place is just behind the south end of hill 216 around the road. then use your 105 FOs. keep them behind the hill so the germans can't get to them and have them call in artillery on that 75mm gun pillbox. wait a few minutes as you move your infantry forward and those FOs should take the 75mm out. Once the 75mm is out the 105s can appear and deal with the mg pillboxes with ease.

this can cost a lot of FO ammo but is usually worth it in my opinion. Often too the sherman 105s can go head-to-head with the 75mm at the start and win with no loss or the loss of 1 of the 2 tanks.

notice as well the infantry route which is a seam running nw-se from the north end of hill 216, all the way to the buildings of plomville. can you more-or-less see the crease there? that's one of my favorite infantry avenues of approach. you can also shift the infantry platoons on your right and have it move into the valleys of the center and join up with the engineers and left infantry platoon. set the rightmost infantry platoons as far left as they'll going during the setup and sneak them in a northeasterly direction into the cover of the valleys while you're waiting for the offboard 105s to take effect.

the main, center (south-southwest of plomville) valley approach is in my experience the most direct but also the most costly.

andy

It's like hitting tanks with spitwads. How can an infantry squad kill one of these things from the back when arty fire can't? Did somebody leave the back door of the pillbox unlocked?

------------------

Upon the fields of friendly strife, are sown the seeds of Victory.

---Douglas McArthur

[This message has been edited by Fuse (edited 07-14-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fuse:

It's like hitting tanks with spitwads. How can an infantry squad kill one of these things from the back when arty fire can't? Did somebody leave the back door of the pillbox unlocked?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do it the way the Infantry always has done it...myself among them...with grenades, satchel charges, bazookas, flamethrowers,

and fire from the various squad weapons. Technically, the back door is "unlockable".

One note of caution, esp in VOT...do NOT move your attacking rifle squad INTO the bunker...have them stop just outside the back of it...they will know what to do...it might take a few turns for the attack to finish...if you move them INTO the bunker you will be unable to move them out since the bunker will ultimately show up as "abandoned" or "destroyed" with you squad sitting inside when you have moved on.