problem with Voodoo II's

I have CM with an 800 MHz athlon and a Voodoo II 3000. I have a graphics problem where the graphics deteriorate ending up in blocky, brown and yellow squares, making the game unusable. There was a thread where many other users had the same problem, all with Voodoo II 2000, 3000, or 3500. Most of the systems seemed to be athlon as well. I have the 1.04 drivers for my card, and the smae problems seemed to occur with the 1.05, according to the thread. Has anyone found a sloution to this problem, it makes the wonderful game absolutely unusable on my system. help apreciated!!

I assume you mean that you have a Voodoo3 2000 PCI, is that correct ? What Operating System are you running Windows 95, 98, 98 Second Edition or Windows 2000 Professional ?

As you've already read some users claimed to have had no problems with either the 1.04 or 1.05 drivers, while others have. It's possible that some combination of drivers and hardware may be causing this problem. Cardinal Fang had a problem with lockups (not your deteriorating graphics problem) and he had to disable DirectX's 3D audio acceleration and disable weather effects in CM to get around the problem.

What sound card are you using and do you have any other hardware (ISA or PCI cards) installed in your system ?

You may want to experiment with CM's settings by turning off weather effects, turning off transparencies and using "fast & compatible" smoke. This is going to kill a bit of the eye candy for you, but it may point to something in particular that is causing your problem. If changing one or more of these settings solves the problem then you can start to experiment with other settings and changes to your system to see if you can find the culprit. It still may be the Voodoo3 driver, but it may be having a problem with another driver in your system.