Tactics against a certain kind of enemy needed!

Originally posted by russellmz:

during the battle of gettysburg the a confederate division charged STRAIGHT at the union line. moving through a hail of rifle fire, cannon barrages and canister, some elements reached the union line and fought with some federal troops. suffering massive casualties the division was essentially destroyed.

if it were cm, the clock would stop with the last three southerners fighting in the union line and the flag at "?" with lee proclaiming that if the north couldn't stop a force moving over open ground straight for their main line of resistence then they didn't deserve to hold the flag since they only secured the area with most of their army and cannon. smile.gif

Lee might be able to say the flag is in dispute, but in the CM scoring he would probably suffer a Major Loss!

Using your "Civil War" analogy, the Union may not get the VL points (although the Confederates would almost certainly be broken/routed as previously mentioned), but the victory points would pile up quickly for the Union side because of all the Confederate casualties, probably resulting in a lopsided victory despite the flag being in dispute. Plus, if we continue with the Pickett's charge analogy, the Confederates had a SIZEABLE force in the vicinity of the VL and would have to be destroyed in order for the Union to claim control of the flag.

And by the way, we here in Memphis, Tennessee refer to that period of history as The War Between The States , or, if you prefer, The War of Northern Aggression. :D

Didn't that war end in a draw? ;)

Not really on topic, but anyway:

What about a game of CM that is 50 turns long and has one big flag in the middle, on a large building with no surrounding cover. The rest of the map is standard QB style.

VPs are ignored, and the winner is the player who holds the flag uncontested for 6 turns in a row. If this never happens it is a draw. Short 75 rules, but no arty or guns are allowed.

I wonder what the best strategy would be? Would anyone be interested in a PBEM like this, just for a change? Its more like Unreal Tournament than CM, but it might be fun. ;)

- Marco

Originally posted by Mike:

Hey Marco I'll give you a crack at that! smile.gif

Cool, another kiwi. I'll send ya an email.

We'll have to make a scenario of it rather than a QB, so maybe I can send you the map and then we can both send our picks to a third party to set up....that way the picks become part of the strategy, rather than me just assigning stuff.

It will be Fionn's short-75 rules, except no arty or guns, and axis are allowed Ostwinds and Wirblewinds (allies have so much ammo compared to axis, and in this game it will count).

If it's fun we should finalise a rule set for stoopid games like this. :D

Try this: choose battle lenght with your opponent and when actually setting up the battle choose couple of turns longer battle. If victory flags change ownership or become disputed in say last three turns of chosen battle lenght, then play two or three additional turns. This gives the defender a chance to break those annoying flagrushes and if one succeeds, possibility to counterattack.

Originally posted by bsd:

[QB]Not really on topic, but anyway:

What about a game of CM that is 50 turns long and has one big flag in the middle, on a large building with no surrounding cover. The rest of the map is standard QB style.

VPs are ignored, and the winner is the player who holds the flag uncontested for 6 turns in a row. If this never happens it is a draw. Short 75 rules, but no arty or guns are allowed.

To bsd:

Sounds like a good idea, but there is one potential problem.

I may be mistaken about this (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am smile.gif ), but I think that it is possible for Player A to have control of a flag, without this being apparent to Player B if Player B does not have a proper LOS. In this set of circumstances, Player A would see his Nationality on the VL flag, but Player B would still see it as a "?". This could create confusion as to how many turns a flag has been held.

I had a recent experience in which I was playing a PBEM Quick Battle in which the main VL was marked by a "?". My opponent and I agreed to a mutual ceasefire, which I thought would end in a draw because the casualties were even. Instead, the computer gave the VL flag to him and he got a minor victory. Apparently from his perspective he OWNED the flag, but my LOS was poor (it was in fog as well), and I saw it as marked by a "?". I guess it's possible that when determining a final score, the VL flag may be assigned differently than when in the course of a battle, but I doubt it. (I'm too lazy to test it out). What I learned, though, is that even though you may see a "?" on a VL flag, that may mean that the enemy actually controls it but you just don't know it yet.

Originally posted by Psyched:

I may be mistaken about this (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am

You are certainly right about FOW on flags. This is why the flag is in the open, so it should be quite obvious who owns it. Also I will stay in communication with Mike about who holds the flag in each turn. "I've had it three turns now", that sort of thing. Hopefully it will work ok! Neither of us are too fussed about winning and losing anyway.

Another stoopid option would be to play with FOW off. Could be fun too, more like chess. Especially if you both have matching units, for example a queen (panther, 76 jumbo), 2 bishops (puma, greyhound), pawns (rifle platoons) and all the other chess pieces.

Anyone want to play a PBEM with me like this?? :D

- marco

[ August 06, 2002, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: bsd ]