Bunker's being abandoned (out of ammo)?

Ok, my conscript pillboxes just up and abandoned when they ran out of ammo. They had taken no casualities, had not had their status changed and were not in danger from ANY source on the board.

I wouldn't care much, except that when they abandon they bring down both your victory level and global morale. And of course then the crew is available for being shot at and killed.

Do non-conscript troops not leave the safety of their shelter?

Thanks for the confirmation Pvt. Ryan. Still highly annoying smile.gif

And as conscripts I couldn't even give them really small cover arcs (heh, amusing if I could give it to the rear of the pillbox) to keep them from using all their ammo. Sigh, well for the future anyway.

It is annoying, but if you think about it, if the pillbox was overwhelmed by the enemy and you could not get the crew out, they would just be killed or captured anyway. By abandoning they give you chance to herd them to the rear. One way around this is to place your pillboxes so that they have a more restricted field of fire - not so much that they don't cover enough area to be useful, but so that they don't have LOS to the whole battlefield.

I had made an Omaha scenario in CMBO with plenty of pillboxes. They did a great job of holding off the troops on the beach, but eventually they ran out of ammo and the Americans had it easy after that. Some of us asked BTS to increase the ammo supply for pillboxes, but the reply was that any more ammo would have been ahistorical and that we should learn to conserve.