What is the best way to use Arty spotters in dense woods?

I am sure the enemy has emplacements deep in the woods which I must go through. I have several Arty spotters including 81mm and 120mm mortars and 150mm howitzer. I have only spotters not the units themselves.

Is there any safe way to use my spotters without committing suicide from friendly fire?

The woods are dense, LOS is only 25m .

Can I Spy and Fly.. or See and Flee ..

Or must I have .. Snuck and Duck Toad

If they are "just" woods, not tall pines, you can try to place you spotter in high buildings on on mountains.

You can use TRPs if you had an option to buy them.

Otherwise I'm afraid it's wide target for you. Depending on the module you can do quite some damage in woods because of treebursts.

pretarget where you think the enemy might be, worst case you guess wrong, and only have to normally target where he actually is. best case, you guess right and have very little wait time to call down firery hell from above.

Carpet fire.

You have a hell of a lot of ary there. 81mm is not too shabby for dense woods, and the 120mm is absaloutly LEATHAL! And with multiple spotters, you can really kick ass.

1. In this situation, I would advise only a few of your spotters to be placed up on hills, if any. With such ****ty LOS, there job is now reduced to sipping coca in the command tent, listining to orders over the radio, pointing to a spot on the map, and saying: "Co-ordinites, Z-5n, repeat, Z-5n. Let'em have it, Mac!" Just keep em safe becuse it's going to be 'charted' fire anyway.

2. Do what you usually do with arty- think about where you would be advancing or positioning, and drop a fire mission on it, wide fire probably. 81mm mortars quick response time and large ammo load is great for this ****. This is what those boom-tubes were made for!

3. As I stated at the top- try out carpet fire. Before you advance through a section of woods, go ahead and drop some arty on it. If your serious, dont use "wide". Assign an area of responsiblity for each unit, for an overlapping 'wall' of mortar fire. Sweep through the woods in suspect areas. The treebusts will be murderus. Save your 120 mm for the highly suspect spots and for actuall contatct (under fire at position alpha, bring us 120mm!).

4. Your 105mm howitser battery using wide fire is as effective as 2 81's on concetrated fire. Use it wizely.

Check for any very narrow clear paths into the woods. You can use these for targeting. I've done that to great effect.

Are you sure he's defending the woods though? Be a shame to nuke all those trees for no effect.

If you can't get LOS I'd call in multiple FOs at the same time to get good saturation. If the 150 airbursts it'll shatter him, foxholes won't help. Just have your infantry ready to rush in immediately to clean up the suppressed remaining troops.