What scenarios is everyone working on?

One other good source is World War II magazine. Every issue features a detailed write up of an engagement, with a full-color, albeit not overly detailed map. But it is base to start from, especially because it is 3-d. No questions about the lay of the land from there.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Couldn't tell you. Look on Yahoo!. I used to get the print version, but that was six months ago.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on:

1. 2 Historical Scenarios - The Royal Winnipeg Rifles' defense of Putut-en-Bessin vs. II./26th SS PzGr Reg./12th SS Pz Div-HJ. And then second scenario depicting counter-attack.

2. 2 to 3 Historical Scenarios - C C./Regina Rifles' epic defense of Norrey-en-Bessin vs. I./26th SS PzGr Reg./12th SS Pz Div-HJ. and two other scenarios (follow-up attacks by the I./26th and 3./I./12. SS Pz Reg.).

3. 1 Historical Ops - No. 46 British Commandos clearing the Mue valley (vs. elements of 12th SS Pz).

4. Two to three Semi-Historical Ops yet unnamed involving (1) American attacks / advances on & in Aachen and (2) German counter-attack to breach of West Wall and American northern pincer of Aachen. It is the German 48. Reg./12th Inf. Div. (Wild Buffaloes) vs. US 3rd Armored Div.

* Historical means using 1/25,000 or less maps to create Cm map; all forces based on actual forces used so you must have accurate sources (emphasis on sources i.e. multiple sources); placement and timing of forces also corresponds to actual circumstances.

* Semi-historical means having some of above info, but not enough to complete all - so I am speculating on some elements.

Regards,

Sheck

I'm currently working on 2(Historical) scenarios between the 4th Canadian Armoured Brigade and the 12SS Pz.Div.'HJ' during Operation Totalize 8-9 August 1944.

1) "Worthington Force" vs. "KG Wunsche" near Point(Hill) 140.

2) "Halpenny Force" vs. "KG Waldmuller" at Bretteville le Rabat on Route Nationale 158 (Caen to Falaise Hwy).

I completed the Worthington Force scenario using several info sources including a crude but dimensionally accurate map (no elevation data) and pictures of the area (which is rather flat) found in an issue of Canadian Military History magazine etc.

I used 1km(CMBO)=1km(Real) for my first attempt and made a 2.5km x 2.0km map. An accurate map but taxing for a 400Mhz CPU. I then pared it down to around 1.5 x 1.5km for just the useable battle space. This turned out much better. Unfortunately this space has only part of Hill 140, no road(s) close enough to put on the map, and misses an opportunity to add a small portion of river!

In observing CMBO map scenarios It is pretty obvious that distances have been compressed to fit in more differences in terrain/less buildings etc.

I am currently re-constructing the map at 1.4km(CMBO)=2.5km(Real) to add more features. What does everyone else do with their scenarios? I can keep historically accurate distances but is it worth it? This seems to be more of a problem with mechanized rather than infantry only battles.

I suggest you keep the historic map scale but reduce the scope of your scenario. Rembember that CM is really best suited for company to battalion sized battles. If this is one of your first scenarios I would try to keep it small to allow yourself to learn how to tweak the force ballance, objective flags, etc. Also recommend testing the scenario thoroughly against the AI and then posting at this forum for people to test your scenario.

The battles I'm working on are definately at the company level so there is no problem there. I'm using 1 CMBO platoon = 1 Company(real) in these scenarios, with 3 platoons per side. Total tanks including reserves 3 Firefly VC+ 7 Sherman V vs. 2 Tiger E(L), 2 PzIVH, 2 JPzIVL48, and 2 Panther A.

I've made several scenarios for Panzer General 2 and Panzer Cmdr before so I'm not the kind of person to put 15-18 tanks per side.

My main question is still the map scale. I still don't believe that most of the CMBO original scenarios are 1:1, even though they are historically accurate. When you scale down the number of troops/vehicles accurately why not the map as well? This makes sense to me especially the way CMBO tank main gun effectiveness drops off past 1000m.