Optics question

A brief glimpse at the optics of the late-war tanks in CM:BB would suggest that late models of Tiger E and Tiger II possess 'good' optics... I may be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain late models of both received dual-magnification optics (Turmzielfernröhr 9C at 2.5X and 5X and 9D at 3X and 6X, respectively)...The Tiger II seems to be explainable by the fact that there is no 'late' model for it in the game, but to move from the binocular optics of early Tiger E to 'good' optics in late Tiger E would seem almost a retrograded step(Turmzielfernröhr 9C is indeed a monocular sight, but it also provides for two magnification modes, 2.5X and 5X).

So I suppose my question is if this is some oversight that managed to sneak into the final product, or whether I've been misinformed as to the Turmzielfernröhr 9C/D bit.

[ November 09, 2002, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Mikser ]

Yes, I see the reasoning now, but I don't agree with it. Surely it would be more logical to use dual-mag optics to allow the benefits of both field-of-view and magnification, and instead let crew experience dictate efficiency in using it? It is most puzzling that the KT has the same rated optics as any a Panzer III.

A brief Google search would suggest that...

...With the replacement gun sight Turmzielfrenrohr 9c introduced in April 1944, the (Tiger) gunner could select two magnifications, 2.5X and 5X. The lower magnification provided a wider field of view for target identification while the higher assisted in precise aiming at long ranges. Two adjustable range scales allowed the gunner to register the exact range to the target...
...The sight for most of the Tigers II that actually saw combat was the articulated, monocular Turmzielfernrohr 9d mounted parallel and on the same axis as the main gun. The gunner could select two magnifications, 3X and 6X...
But as I said earlier, I don't even pretend to know whether this is accurate.

[ November 09, 2002, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Mikser ]