Measuring distances?

Hi...

I'm a "newbie" to the genre and have to say that I've enjoyed CMBB very much. I also have CMBO (bought as a bundle), but haven't had the chance to really get into it yet.

Anyway, my question may be naïve and perhaps I'm missing something in the manual, but is there any tool or function within either CMBB or CMBO to be able to measure distance?

I know I can use the LOS function by clicking on a unit then drawing it out to measure from the unit itself, but is there any way to click on a point on the map, then do the same thing? It would be handy to be able to use this kind of function to get a sense of distances from a point to a point, so I could figure out the best place to move a unit to. As it stands all I can do now ( I think?), is measure the distance from where the unit is, not where I want to place him relative to a third point.

In real life, as a platoon commander, I would have a 1/25,000 or better topographical map and I'd be able to easily do this with my protractor.

Anyway, just some thoughts.... Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

BadgerDog

BD, to actually answer your question, no, there is no way to measure the distance between point A and point B unless there is a unit at one of them.

The best thing to do is use the LOS tool to approximate the distance between the two points you are curious about in the 7 or 8 view, depending on how far you are trying to measure, the 6 view if its a very short distance.

The terrain cells are 20 meters across. If you can get your view close enough to make them out, you can count them off. Not a very good technique, I admit, but I can't think of much you need to do in CM that requires greater precision that you can't do with the LOS tool.

Michael

If you get the grid terrain mod, each square is 20 meters across. Like somebody said, the grid also make it easier to judge the rise and fall of the land, which is the main purpose for it.

And you can use the LOS tool, kinda sorta: If it's 50 meters from your squad to point A, and 80 meters from your squad to point B, then it's about 30 meters between point A and point B. If your squad, point A, and point B are all in a line.