HQ units and on board artillery question in CM:BB

While on my lunch hour, I was wondering something about on board self-propelled / towed artillery pieces in CMBB. Specifically, will HQ units be allowed to spot for on board guns? I know that mortar carriers will be able to do so, but don't recall hearing anything about bigger guns.

I hope this is possible. I was under the impression that in the case of CMBO, the map size limitations were the reason it could not be done. Since BB is going to contain much larger map sizes, well, I was just hoping is all.

Any word on this?

Keep in mind that even on the very largest of CMBB maps (3km/3km), it's still only the lower velocity guns (75mm pack howitzers and the like) would be able to fire indirect at distance you see on a CM map IRL, and then only occasionally - especially with higher velocity guns, trajectory necessary for the shell to clear the hill or builiding or whatever is making it out of LOS to the target will take it well beyond the edge of the map.

Some howizters would be able to do it by using a high (more than 45 degrees from horizontal) trajectory to target, but the additional realism afforded by this would be pretty minimal - most of the time these guns would be off-map and better modeled by the current spotter system.

Still would be a cool feature to play with on the rare occasion it would be applicable, though.

I doubt we'll see it because the modeling would actually be pretty complex - you'd have to calculate the flight path from the gun all the way to the target area and see if there were any intervening obstacles. It's my understanding that CM's ballistics modeling, while very good, is not that complex.

Cheers,

YD

The CMBB maps can be larger. And the German infantry guns would often do such short-range indirect fire, in addition to MG indirect fire and whatever else people thought of in WW2 to hurt the guys on the other side.

For what it's worth, I used StuH in CMBO to do indirect fire over a ridge. You target the very top of the ridge and half the shots go over. Hard to aim but certainly stunts of opponent smile.gif

Anyway, just do a proper calculation of the shot's flight path and set the minim range based on the height of the terrain betwen shooter and target. Its not rocket science and only a small part of the stuff BTS does for tank shots anyway.

Originally posted by tiborhead:

Hmmm... For some reason, I was thinking the max map size was much larger than that. I was thinking along the lines of 9km/9km for some reason. redface.gif Looks like I'm going to have to read the CM:BB FAQ thread to freshen up. :D

Thanks, YD.

FYI in case you haven't found it yet: According to the press release, individual battle maps are up to 9 sq. km in CMBB, hence my 3km x 3km figure. The press release also states that operation maps are up to 24 sq. km.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I have to agree with Redwolf. 9 sq. km, doesn't necessarily mean a square map - it could be 4.5 km x 2 km, or whatever. On a map that deep, you actually exceeding the maximum range of a lot of smaller field guns by a fair margin, so you could certainly see the kind of trajectories that would easily clear most intervening terrain obstacles. In addition, I remember that some field guns have variable propellant charges. I'd have to look at the actual range statistics (Is there an Arty grog in the house?) but I bet a 105mm howitzer with minimum charge can clear a 10-20m elevation in front of it and still hit a target only 1km away or so pretty easily even without resorting to high arc fire.

My money is still on that indirect fire by on-board guns is not in due to model issues. I will happily eat my words if I am wrong, though.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tiborhead:

Hmmm... For some reason, I was thinking the max map size was much larger than that. I was thinking along the lines of 9km/9km for some reason. redface.gif Looks like I'm going to have to read the CM:BB FAQ thread to freshen up. :D

Thanks, YD.

FYI in case you haven't found it yet: According to the press release, individual battle maps are up to 9 sq. km in CMBB, hence my 3km x 3km figure. The press release also states that operation maps are up to 24 sq. km.</font>