X

X

X

X

X

X

X

Wild Bill,

I must say that I was really enjoying this operation. A friend and I were playing this and we were both blind. I was the Allies. I was disappointed in two things both which have been mentioned here. My opponent was really doing a good job on varying his attack and I was holding my own. At the end of the first battle He had a few squads in teh very front of the town, but they were well covered. I left the very front edge of the town undefended and rather had numerous ambush points set up just inside the town. I was very suprised when the battle ended and I was outside of the town and had to rush back and try to get good defensive positions. He on the other hand was pretty much where we ended and I took some initial losses getting back into position. I was able to re-establish a defensive front and felt that I was doing well. I had one platoon and two tanks on the far left side of the map (Allied left). Sorry can't remember where north was.

My opponent sent a number of tanks and infantry and was able to get some of the units around behind me. At the end of that battle he was awarded a total victory.

I understand the theory that I had to protect the road as well as the city, but he was no where close to getting behind the town and down the main road to Bastogne. I was preparing to set up additional defenses to guard that direction of the road. (I already had some spotters along the road).

It was my understanding that only road (which is marked) Road to Bastogne is the victory point. He had taken a portion of a road that leads to the main one out of town, but had not got to the main road.

Needless to say I felt cheated. In the final tally I had killed more troops and armor that he had and while I know that this is not a destroy operation, his advance on the road was not by any means decided.

Is there possibly going to be a patch for this operation. If you like it the way it is, it's not my place to ask you to change it. We saved the last turn prior to the end of the 2nd battle as we both want to continue this and if there is a patch we were hoping to start where we left off.

Once again, I know it is easy to critize, but the main reason I write this is that I really liked this particular operation, but believe that the total victory was premature.

Thanks for reading this,

Jimmy4Eyes

[This message has been edited by Jimmy 4 Eyes (edited 07-08-2000).]

Jimmy, I wish I had an explanation as to why the operations do that. I don't. To be very honest, I am not quite confident of how those conditions work anyway.

I've been of the view as you, that the starting points for battle 2, 3 or whatever should pick up exactly where the previous battle ended.

From what you describe unless your friend had infiltrated and you did not know it, I have no explanation as to why it did this.

Better to sound dumb and be honest that try to snowball you with some answer that makes no sense.

I'm not a politician, I'll try to answer as honestly as I can. And my honest answer is I don't know.

I never had this happen. I played the operation 8 time personally (but always against the AI) and I along with you and others had the frustration of seeing my front line pushed back.

Outside or reducing the map perimeters on top and bottom, I don't know how to remedy this. In fact, I am going to try that and see what happens.

I enjoy this operation very much, and I am sorry you have had this disappointment. I'm looking at it again.

In the meantime, all I can say is do what I do, keep those flanks covered on both sides by a small contingent to see the enemy coming and don't let them past you.

Small comfort for you. I honestly wish I had a clearer answer.

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

On that theme, I have a new one I am working on that deals with a little town near Kommerscheidt. The town of Vossenack where US engineers and Panzer Grenadiers attacked from each end of the town at the same time. Now that one is bloody beyond words.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't get this:

It seems this thread started out by someone saying that the DeSobry op finished for them after only one battle (as it did to me).

Then there was some other talk about being pushed back to a start line further to the rear than where you ended up after the first battle.

I'm wondering about the original question. I played the first battle and it was pretty much a slaughter for both sides, but after ending the battle I was still largely outside the town. I wasn't allowed to continue on to the next battle, and the end of battle results looked just like the end of a scenario, displaying statistics for both sides (I think a complete Axis victory).

Did I forfeit the rest of the operation because I didn't get into the town on the first battle, or is there just a bug in this op? Thanks for any insight,

ianc

Wild Bill et al:

OK, I've read through this whole thread and played through this OP and a few others (home-baked).

I am quite confident I know the problem. Its the size of the 'No Man's Land'. I believe it is still set at 400m. This is what is causing those unrealistic 'pushbacks' out of Noville. I'm pretty sure its ALSO what is ending the Op prematurely.

Try going into the editor and moving the size of 'No Man's Land' to 0m or perhaps 80m. I'm pretty sure most of your problems will be solved!

Talenn

I've been looking at that too, Dale. In fact, I did correct another upcoming Operation that should be posted in less than a week on units of the US 43rd Tank Battalion.

By narrowing the "No Man's Land" feature, it became much more playable.

In my case, however, by so doing I had to re-situate all my units. They were moved back to the edges of the map mad.gif

But it was worth it. It seems to play very well now (the new one). I'll take a look at Desobry again with this in mind. Good observation, Dale.

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com