CMBB and head to head play (serial/parallel)

Will this be possbile with CMBB? AFAIK the only way to play CMBO between two PCs at home is to connect them via a full LAN/ethernet set up. I don't really want to go to the expense of that as most games we have play via serial/parallel with no problems at all.

I have found an opponent I can thrash EVERY time at EVERY game, my son, so it would be a help. My son is only 4 months old however so it MAY not last ;)

I've tried searching on this and got nowhere. For some reason I can never get the CMBB Extreme FAQ to load, not sure if it's because of its size or what? Bit of nuisance though.

[ April 14, 2002, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Apache ]

Originally posted by Apache:

Will this be possbile with CMBB? AFAIK the only way to play CMBO between two PCs at home is to connect them via a full LAN/ethernet set up. I don't really want to go to the expense of that as most games we have play via serial/parallel with no problems at all.

I have found an opponent I can thrash EVERY time at EVERY game, my son, so it would be a help. My son is only 4 months old however so it MAY not last ;)

I've tried searching on this and got nowhere. For some reason I can never get the CMBB Extreme FAQ to load, not sure if it's because of its size or what? Bit of nuisance though.

this is not a cmbo problem

it is a networking issue

two Macs can network via a Ethernet cross over cable in tcp/ip this is no problem and I do it all the time

can you manually configure your tcp/ip on those two PC's and throw an Ethernet cross over cable between them?

if not buy two Macs smile.gif

-tom w

[ April 14, 2002, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Simple answer, get a LAN. I have one with 5 ports (10baseT) that cost less than $50 US, including 2 cards and cables. Extra cards can be as cheap as 12 bucks in the local computer store. You can do a lot more with a LAN than just a serial cable setup. Sharing printers, internet connections and files across two or more computers is well worth the price. Windoze has setup wizards built in, so configuring things is a breeze. I would recommend a firewall, if you plan to share net connections, though.

once again the secret here is the "cross over cable"

this is a special ethernet cable (does anyone know another name for it? there may be a more technical name?)

any two pc's or macs with ethernet ports can connect DIRECTLY to each other with an ethernet cross over cable.

I use mine ALL the time to talk to computers I need to fix or transfer files to.

no hub or router is required to network two computers with a cross over cable.

the Simplest LAN (Local Area Network) you can build is two computers that talk to each other directly over an Ethernet cross over cable.

-tom w

[ April 15, 2002, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]