AFV's stil reversing into battle!

Guest Mike

I'd just like to thank hte AI for backing it's Roumanian T-4's (Pz-4's) into the attack against the Hungarians in "Battle of Minors" (or whatever - the 2nd or 3rd scenario).

They also backed a Marder 100-150m - but that wasn't such a great change 'cos the AT rifles can get it from the front too - but the Turans REALLY appreciated seeing the arse end of the P-4's!!

Anyway - seems this particular bug is still there, and I don't see anything about it in a search......

I have never seen this behavior (which is not to say it didn't happen), what were the circumstances in the scenario? Does it repeat in the same scenario when you start the scenario over? When have you seen it before, was it with CMBO or CMBB?

Were the turrets traversed to the rear to face a threat or was the vehicle backing towards you as if it was reversing from a perceived threat?

I have seen this in the CC series many times along with other bizarre vehicle movements. I know that the CM AI often fails to act in the most sensible fashion, but it usually doesn't butt into battle.

[ November 09, 2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: kmead ]

On a related note:

Will AFV's under AI control reverse off the map unintentionally ?

I did a QB and in it I was about to drive a KV-1 under AI control off the map and once it hit the map edge it started reversing along the edge of the map apparently until it rallied enough to come forward some distance from it.

Originally posted by tero:

On a related note:

I did a QB and in it I was about to drive a KV-1 under AI control off the map and once it hit the map edge it started reversing along the edge of the map apparently until it rallied enough to come forward some distance from it.

Yes, vehicles can and will move off-map due to morale problems. However they seem to be MUCH less likely to do so than infantry. I think someone (aka_tom?) posted about how the AI replotted a vehicle of his in a traffic jam off-map (morale of the story, unless fixed stay away from the edge ;) ).

Originally posted by Cameroon:

Yes, vehicles can and will move off-map due to morale problems.

Under human control, yes.

However they seem to be MUCH less likely to do so than infantry.

I was in dire staights with that pesky KV-1 against the AI and when it started reversing towards the edge of the map I thought I had driven it off. Infantry was running off the map like grazy so I thought I would not have to use any more resources to kill that heavy sucker. No such luck. Once it hit the map edge it turned and kept on reversing at the very edge of the map. Most annoying.

I think someone (aka_tom?) posted about how the AI replotted a vehicle of his in a traffic jam off-map (morale of the story, unless fixed stay away from the edge ;) ).

But what about troops totally under AI control ? Are they immune to the "drive off the map because I am too scared" routine ?

Originally posted by Cameroon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tero:

On a related note:

Yes, vehicles can and will move off-map due to morale problems. However they seem to be MUCH less likely to do so than infantry. I think someone (aka_tom?) posted about how the AI replotted a vehicle of his in a traffic jam off-map (morale of the story, unless fixed stay away from the edge ;) ).</font>

Originally posted by Mike:

I'd just like to thank hte AI for backing it's Roumanian T-4's (Pz-4's) into the attack against the Hungarians in "Battle of Minors" (or whatever - the 2nd or 3rd scenario).

They also backed a Marder 100-150m - but that wasn't such a great change 'cos the AT rifles can get it from the front too - but the Turans REALLY appreciated seeing the arse end of the P-4's!!

Anyway - seems this particular bug is still there, and I don't see anything about it in a search......

I've seen this happen as well, but not all that often. Just twice.