Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Ok so I'm playin this tank vs. tank only game...

5000 point game, my oponent and I agree to tanks only. He buys 2 JagdTigers and 1 JagdPanther. I get 8 Jumbo Shermans. The terrain in gentle slopes light trees and village. He beat the hell out of me. In fact I was afraid to come out from behind buildings. I had attempted to come out and smooke in front of him to get into position to advance on him but my shermans were too slow to acquire and his rounds were SO fast incoming. I decided to hide in the village at the objective flags, hoping he would come in closer. Well he decided to bombard the buildings around me, leaving in the open. I was forced to try and Fast Move to other cover but I quickly lost my tanks and the battle.

What would you have done?

Buy JABO's tongue.gif

Not much your going to do in that situation. If you want to play an armour Vs. armour only against the Germans you need to set a limit on the gun size the Germans can have or make it a street fight. Remember 4 allied tanks got knocked out for every Tiger let alone the heavier armoured Jagdtiger.

------

"No man ever won a war by dieing for his country he won it by making the other poor sob die for his country" PATTON

Were your tanks buttoned up? That makes them acquire targets a lot slower. Also, if you get veterans, they will acquire targets a bit faster.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Did you try to use the pause command to alternate unit exposure? Get behind hull-down pos. and use the pause to get in the firing position at the end of the turn? Try rolling back with the pause to help to get one or more shots off? Get the German to hull rotate for a friendly flank shot. Use smoke and key holing of terrain to separate targets. Use the reverse command to keep your hull facing. Your sherms have good turret armor. Bum rushing is suicide against an adept opponent. Try overwatch manuever.

Deadeye- you state that it was 5000 points. I think you mean 2000 points.

All tactical advices you have been given is good.

The Pause move is a 15 second pause at the start of your turn before a tank begins to move.

I still restate that given the forces you say. There is very little you could do. As I have found in many battles the game can be won or lost in the choice of forces and set-up phases.

By buying only Jumbo's you took away the one advantage you have over the Germans. That is SPEED. You gave up your advantage in speed for a little extra armor that is still not going to stop an 88 or 120(something) round. Your not going to knock out either of those monsters from the front with that 76mm gun. Next time try purchasing a bunch of Hellcats. yes i know there armor is paper thin but those German cats are going to kill anything you have with one shot anyway. The Hellcat can go 55 mph. Let those three big German cats try to kill 15 Hellcats flying at them from all different directions.

Sounds like fun want to give it a try biggrin.gif

------

Remember: " No man ever won a war by dieing for his country. He won it by making th other poor sob die for his country" PATTON

No, he did not cheat. We agreed that any armor was usable. Tank vs. Tank was just what we called the game for the sake of simplicity, so we wouldn't have to come up with a name like:

Tank Destroyers Of 1945 With Guys Wearing Beanies vs. Tanks Driven By Guys With Purple Boots With Jingle Bells Attached.

smile.gif

I just finished up an armor only battle today, I was the Allies he was Germans. I had 3 Jumbos 76s, couple of Hellcats and a couple of M36s. He had the normal mix of uber tanks, King Tigers, Jagtigers and Jagpanters, ect. Sounds pretty nasty but I did end up beating him, the key is having 3 or 4 of my tanks attacking 1 of his, nothing can stand up to 76mm T rounds, they rock, also the 90mm is not a bad gun and the Hellcats are great at flank attacks. IMHO 3 Sherman 76s will take out a King Tiger almost ever time.

• 2 weeks later...

deadeye,

Check this thread. I was in the same situation as you are, asked a bunch of questions, and got a helluva lot of good answers! Read through it, you wont regret it.

Here's the link:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/013384.html

Cheers!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"