Uses of large caliber German flak

Now we all know that the Germans used Flak 88s against armor,infantry & formations of allied bombers. Now that I think about did the Germans use any of there 128mm Flak as ATG. I am not really sure, but I have never heard it mentioned. Now I know the Jagdtiger uses a 128mm, but I am not sure if this is a 128mm Flak or special made gun for the Jagdtigers. My guess would be its probably the 128mm Flak.

Well any way I am getting away from my original question. I was setting up a scenario and gave the 88's for German forces a little more smoke than they usually have, and I just resently watched Memphis Bell for the 100th time. Remember when the Bombardier can't see the target, and he says it looks like a smoke screen?

Was it possible for a large consentration of flak guns to send up enough smoke to make a smoke screen over a target?

[ August 16, 2002, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

I doubt that you would see the heavy Flak guns (128mm) on a typical CM battlefield. I think most of them where situated in static emplacements and on the large Flakbunkers.

During the battle of Berlin the heavy Flak artillery was used against ground targets.

The JagdTiger used a 128mm PaK 44l55 which was IIRC developed from the 128mm Flak.

To your second question: smoke screens against bombing raids were not created by Flak guns shooting smoke grenades, but rather by ground installations.

Dependend on the athmospheric conditions they were more or less effective.

[ August 16, 2002, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

I doubt that you would see the heavy Flak guns (128mm) on a typical CM battlefield. I think most of them where situated in static emplacements and on the large Flakbunkers.

During the battle of Berlin the heavy Flak artillery was used against ground targets.

To your second question: smoke screens against bombing raids were not created by Flak guns shooting smoke grenades, but rather by ground installations.

Dependend on the athmospheric conditions they were more or less effective.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks ParaBellum

Ya I knew 128 Flaks would not of been used on a CM scale, but as things got more desperate for the Germans I wondered if they were used against infantry, armor,etc...

Finally was the 128mm gun in the Jadgtigers was that the 128mm flak or another made for the Jadgtigers.

Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

There was also the Pak44. This was the AT gun version which was mounted on a french 155 carriage IIRC. It was produced in limited numbers (~100) and saw service only very near the end. I cant find a picture but i think West Front had a fuzzy one in its encyclopedia thing.

Panzerwerfer42 there is a pic of the Pak 44 somewhere at www.achtungpanzer.com, I remember seeing it a month or so ago when I was looking threw the site again. You'll really have to look, because I remember it was hard to find. I found it and I thought to myself I never seen this weapon the other 20 tims I've gone through this site.

I think it's Company Commander, or maybe If You Survive that describes American infantry coming under fire from 128mm flak. The fire was on a timed fuse to create airbursts over the Amis, who were then tasked with assaulting the battery. The fire was very effective, but luckily the gunners proved prone to bug out if shelled.

There were 2 versions of the K44 - Krup (a 4 wheeled carriagge) and Rheinmettal (6-wheeled). The Jagdtiger cannon was a versoin of this gun.

It was originally developed as heavy artillery of the 120-130mm class with an anti-tank capability.

A later development was the K81 - this was intended as a true dual purpose gun on a cruciform platform, but never saw action in this form.

Instead some were mounted on captured platforms - the French Cannon de 155 GPF-T (German designation 15.5cm K419(f)) and the Russian 152-1937 (15.2cm KH 433/1®).

The French platform was apparently too light for the task, and hte Russian one even worse. However they were avaialable and saw some action from the final winter of the war onwards.

There were also experimental versions based on Skoda, Italian and other German field gun carriages.

they appear to have had little relation to the FLAK guns of the same calibre - the length of rifling was different, the breeches were different, etc.

Of note regarding the 12.8cm flak pieces - there were 34 twin mounts (Flakzwilling 40) in service in Feb 45, and 569 single versions - 6 mobile (not a successful design mobility wise!!), 201 on rail carriages and 362 in fixed emplacements.

All info from various volumes of the most excellent WW2 Fact Files series.