Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Large Calibre Arty

What are good tactical uses for large-calibre artillery, specifically 7.5" and 25-pounder. What exactly is a 25-pounder anyway? Something shot from a battleship? Dropped from a plane?

At any rate, it would seem to me that the only thing these sizes of artillery are good for is for levelling villiages, and demoralizing troops. I get the impression that it would be too big to be reasonably accurate.

Also, if the enemy is in a defensive position, what is a good size of arty to use for driving him out if you don't know where they are? I suppose I could use the above arty, but is that its optimal use?

The 25 pounder is actually one of the smaller arty pieces. And seriously broken in CMBO due to slow rate of fire.

Anyway, bit arty (not the naval stuff) is better for kill/purchase points ratio. In addition to that, it also has a decent chance of damaging tanks.

The only reasons not to get the biggest module you can is when you need more targetting speed -in that case get the biggest mortars available- or you have some better use for the points. But buying two smaller modules (about same speed) over one big is almost never a good idea.

Further exception reinforcing the rule:

- you may want VT

- you may want small stuff for smoke

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Krinks:

What exactly is a 25-pounder anyway? Something shot from a battleship? Dropped from a plane?<hr></blockquote>

The British 25-pounder is a 3.5 inch howitzer, but not called the 88mm (its actual bore) because of British convention and so as not to confuse it with the more well-known German 88mm. In terms of firepower, it's a little less than a 105 (which makes sense) and should probably be used similarly. In the game, you can also find it mounted on the Sexton, the Canuck (also British?) version of a Priesty-type SP gun.

*frown*

If you don't know where the enemy is, you might not want to be wasting artillery yet. Probe first with some kind of recon element (split squad, say).

And you definitely would not want to open up with the big guns first without a very good idea of where the enemy is, unless the arty has such an incredibly wide dispersion for the map size that it might not matter, or you intend to reduce a town to rubbble. You generally get far too few shells for a lot of points to justify expending them gratuitiously. A good defender might try to make you waste your arty support with fake strongpoints, and such tactics as rapidly evacuating towed guns for a hit-and-run.

For an example of the former case, don't expect pinpoint accuracy from 300mm rockets, which are basically a wild gamble. If they hit, they hurt, but it's a toss-up whether or not they hit anywhere near where you're targetting...

In the latter case, if you think your opponent set up in a town, especially if they're light buildings, and you intend to hit it early, you could. Of course, if your opponent anticipated this and set up just outside, he could then march into the rubble and use it for cover...

If you can, save the heavy stuff for known or extremely probable concentrations of enemy troops.

I've come to admire the off map 25pdr.

At first I thought that the blast wasn't good for much (and still think).

But the amount of ammo! It just keeps pouring...

Against slow moving infantry it's a real killer and morale breaker. (I know, I've been on the receiving end in one PBEM where my troops were stuck in snow.)

The heavy artillery (15cm and up) can be used against anything, but usually have long response time and slow ROF.

Cheers

Olle

Olle,

You forgot about the US 155 mm arty. smile.gif A regular US 155 mm FO has a two minute (usually plus a small bit) response time. That is some fast & does not give the Germans much time to avoid the fall of such killer shells.

You are correct, the rate of fire may be considered slow, a mere 8 rounds per minute. However, those rounds (with sighted targeting) kill everything (well, most everything) & gives one 4 minutes of raining death. :eek:

I love 'em, & I use 'em every chance I get. :D:D:Dtongue.gif

However, having 150 mm plus arty available in 1500 or 2000 point games is a bit much. One (my self included) can consider them unhistorical in such small battles. redface.gif

Cheers, Richard :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

I've come to admire the off map 25pdr.

At first I thought that the blast wasn't good for much (and still think).

But the amount of ammo! It just keeps pouring...

Against slow moving infantry it's a real killer and morale breaker. (I know, I've been on the receiving end in one PBEM where my troops were stuck in snow.)<hr></blockquote>

I like the 25 pdr too. My fav idea is to buy two 25 pdr FO's and have them targeting the same area, if possible, creating a lethal barrage with a more historically accurate ROF. With 120 rounds/FO, and using re-targeting so that you don't use the max rounds/turn, you'll get pleasing results, though the high ROF/smaller blast won't be as good vs. troops in buildings as a 5.5" FO, for example.

You do need at least a 1500pts. Combined arms QB to be able to afford it though.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]</p>