Targets from above.

Been playing this scenerio and every now and then a tank will explode out of the blue. I am thinking im being attacked from above but do not see any evidence that im being attacked by a plane, no shadow nor do i see a tracer line. The tanks are tigers and im probably 1700m from the nearest amored unit on the opposing side. Does anyone have an idea whats kicking me to sleep out here. :confused:

Does it say "front hull penetration," "side turret penetration," or something like that when your tanks are hit? A top penetration will indicate planes or a darn accurate mortar, while hits from any other direction mean guns, tanks, or infantry.

You can see tracers, bombs, or rockets if they're fired from a plane. Also, you'll hear airplane engine noises whenever there's a fighter in the area.

If you find yourself constantly losing tanks to unidentified tanks, you need to have the infantry lead the attack, with the tanks following. Unbutton your tanks whenever possible; a buttoned tank is nearly blind. Scout ahead with infantry, looking in every likely patch of trees for hidden zooks.

Hm. If a selected unit is being targeted for rockets or bombs by a plane, there should be a yellow targetting line leading up into the sky, plus some nasty craters afterwards if it's bombs. Replay a turn when you lose one, select the unit, and watch carefully.

If there's no yellow line, then -- since planes, AFAIK, are never considered concealed in CM:BO -- you're dealing with something else entirely.

I am starting to think that what im dealing with is a tank have infantry all over the place ahead of me dont see much from their angle, dont see any craters form either next to the tank and such. As stated before dont see a yellow tracer like that from a plane, must be a sneaky tank somewhere, has happened for 2 turns back to back have 5 tanks unbuttoned next to each other, if a tank was eliminated by an unseen foe, wouldnt the tank next to it be able to identify the threat.

If it's a minefield, it should be pretty obvious due to the signs that'll be sticking out of the ground ASAP.

An AT gun up in some treeline might be pretty hidden. Or, some location where it might get "keyhole" sighting (extremely narrow but long field of view where it's in LOS of only its victim, in general)... And, it'd probably be easier to hide than a tank. OTOH, the tank could be doing hunt/reverse, hunt/reverse...

Turn of vehicles. Look at the ground where the tanks are. Are there craters *under* where the tanks were?

Oh, and is the opponent American? British? It might help to narrow down what sort of guns you're dealing with -- taking out a Tiger, at least frontally, from long range rules out many of the smaller ones, anyway.