Wow, tank commanders suppose to do this?

Here's the situation. I have a tank firing down a lane/road. An enemy halftrack loaded with a squad of infantry pops around the corner of bocage within 15 meters. The sequence of events unfolds like this:

Halftrack appears and advances within 15 meters on the tanks flank. My tank is Buttoned. Now all of the sudden, a grenade like object come out of the tank and smacks dead into the halftracks, blowing the halftracks to bits and 1/2 of the infantry squad!!

I do have screenshots, but they would constitute a spoiler so I'll refrain from posting them at this time.

"the Nahverteidigungswaffe..."

Close defense weapon - hurls a 92mm HE or smoke grenade from inside the tank against any enemy infantry approaching the tank.

I went to all the trouble of looking it up (thanks to Moon for naming the device), so I figured I'd post it here to save others the trouble. Not that it was much trouble....the game manual is terrific.

Ober

------------------

"Them Yankees couldn't hit the broa..."

Guest Scott Clinton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Close defense weapon - hurls a 92mm HE...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it does not.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Close defense weapon - hurls a 92mm HE or smoke grenade <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It definitively does not. Sorry for you being in error. But there is pretty much misconception floating around on this board about the Nahverteidigungswaffe.

Go to

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/NahVtdgW/artnahvtdgw.htm

and read what it does and what it DOES NOT.

Cheers

Helge

------------------

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

Guest Scott Clinton

Actually IIRCC much of the information on the site DesertFox mentions came from people at the Panzer museum AND it also contains information from other sources as well...

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Red Dog,

Actually the site you are linking to has exactly the same content as the D 656/42 tank manual site on my page.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/NahVtdgW/artnahvtdgw-D656.html

Guess who gave me the information wink.gif

Yeah, I got the stuff directly from the Panzermuseum Munster.

It remains untranslated because it´s part of a primary document, but if you go to the citations section you will find that Tom Jentz books are giving the same description, because they are basing on primary sources too.

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

[This message has been edited by The DesertFox (edited 06-27-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

No, it does not.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that sounds pretty emphatic. So now I am confused. I quoted directly from page 28 of the CM manual. But I guess the manual could be wrong?

So then I went to a couple of the web pages linked in the other replies above. One was in German, which whilst impressive was unintelligible to me. The other page, linked to by DesertFox, pretty well confirms what the CM manual says about the Nahverteidigungswaffe. It describes it as a short range device, attached to the outside of the tank, and designed to fire either a smoke or HE round. The HE round is actually fired from a flare pistol or similar from inside the tank, using the Nahverteidigungswaffe tube as the pistol port for the round. The Nahverteidigungswaffe has a diameter of 92mm, the early HE rounds were called Sprenggranatpatrone, had a range of 7 - 10 meters, were detonated by a 1 second fuse and exploded about 0.5 - 2 meters above the ground. The effectiveness of the HE round was questionable, and it was replaced by another HE round later on, this one known as a Wurfgranate round, diameter 2.6 cm. The above information all comes from DesertFoxes site.

So you can split hairs and be grognardedly pedantic, but the description of this weapon given in the CM manual and quoted by me in my reply to Apocs question is essentially correct. The HE round was not 92mm, the Nahverteidigungswaffe tube was. The CM manual refers to the HE round as being 92mm and I guess this is part of the "misconception" surrounding this weapon. If one of these rounds landed inside a half-track I'm sure it would cause casualties, especially if ammunition was ignited by the detonation. I sure the enemy troops in Apoc's incident did not appreciate the subtelties of the difference in diameter.

Ober

------------------

"Them Yankees couldn't hit the broa..."

Guest Scott Clinton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>So you can split hairs and be grognardedly pedantic...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must not know the 'history' of this subject around here or you would understand why I am a little hesitant to voice on this issue again.

But the fact of the matter is that you said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"the Nahverteidigungswaffe..." Close defense weapon - hurls a 92mm HE or smoke grenade...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While in fact this is not true. The HE round was not 92mm, or even close.

The difference between a 92mm round and a 26mm round is quite a bit. I don't know about a 92mm round but the data I have at hand now states that the little 26mm HE round had a whopping 5oz of HE in it.

Not impressive and most likely not very effective either, IMHO of course. smile.gif

------------------

Whether OberGrupenStompinFeuhrer! has added anything to the lengthy debate on the nahverteidigungswaffe is questionable. What he has given us though is the phrase "grognardedly pedantic." I like it, and can see it becoming a firm favourite with Combat Mission groupies.