CMBO and 15mm Wargaming

Howdy, everyone.

Been playing CMBO/CMBB compulsively since I got them a while back, and I've always enjoyed the level of detail in the games.

My friend recently showed me a huge collection of well-painted 15mm figures/tanks he's been working on, and I've convinced him to base them so we can get a nice wargame started.

The problem is finding a suitable set of rules.

We're looking for a company/platoon level scale, where a base of figures = a squad, special support weapon, command section (Like in CM) and a vehicle = 1 or 2 vehicles.

Being a CM player, I find a lot of the rule sets out there unappealing. They treat infantry units in squad levels, but once a squad is hit, the entire squad is basically wiped out. For me, I find that a bit too bloody/unrealistic.

Does anyone know of any set of rules available where squad casualties are actually considered? Where infantry aren't just tacked on to armor combat? Heh.

We've got an entire unfinished basement (he just moved into a new house) to play on, which means about 20' x 20' playing area. Very nice for a 15mm scale. smile.gif

Thanks,

Adam

I've yet to find a tabletop wargame where the level of casualties are different to the level of units (i.e. if the smallest unit is a squad, then you lose squads) It's all to do with keeping track of things. If you have to write down the number of squad casualties, then the whole thing becomes mind-numbingly tedious, as all your units have different stats. CM can handle this as you have a computer to remember everything for you.

Tabletop games avoid this by abstracting things a bit - squads can be suppressed before being destroyed, which represents casualties or morale effects.

In addition, the destroyed squads aren't necessarily wiped out to the last man, but routed, taken up with caring for the wounded or whatever.

You tend to have fewer turns where more happens in order to keep the game interesting and combat resolution sufficiently detailed.

Hi Adam

Does anyone know of any set of rules available where squad casualties are actually considered? Where infantry aren't just tacked on to armor combat? Heh.

[/QB]

Piquet Point Of Attack II has rules for several levels of representation including Squad Level and whilst individual casualties are not considered Squad Stands/elements can take more than one hit. Note that hits (as in many rulesets) are not nessecarily actual WIA or KIA but are also used to reduce firepower, morale choesion and suchlike.

Crossfire uses 1 stand = 1 squad but if a kill is achevied a whole stand (squad) is removed. Acheving a kill is not always that easy though.

Mein Panzer is another set with Squads which take multiple hits to kill (depending on type/morale level etc) I only have the original set so dont know what latest revisions are ?

Flames Of War the new set from makers of 15mm Battlefront miniatures also has squads but not sure how hits/kills are achieved.

Battlefront WWII (from makers of Fire And Fury) is another with Squad level but again I cant recall hit/casualty method (memory is going !!)

Hope this is of help

here is a couple of ruleset you can check out.

battleground- by easy eight enterprises, now defunct but you can find rulesets on ebay, hobby shops and such. sort-of hollywood-esk through reasonable.

battlefront miniatures (is not assoc. w/BFC) has a line of figures and a ruleset called "flames of war." the figures are great but i've never playtested the rules.

"command decision" by old glory (i think) is really good. our group uses it for micro armor scale battles (that tend to be anything but micro in scale) though i know people use it for 15mm also. there will be a new rewrite/version (#4 for those keeping track) sometime in the not to distant future so keep and eye out for that.

good luck,

todd

Panzer war is good set of rules for miniture warfare for WWII

and there free now

you might have to redo the scale since it was designed for 1/285th scale minis

I started using these rules back around 1985 and they have been updated a few times

the designer still runs games at the L.A. gaming conventions

http://panzer-war.com/

Originally posted by Obibun:

Howdy, everyone.

Been playing CMBO/CMBB compulsively since I got them a while back, and I've always enjoyed the level of detail in the games.

My friend recently showed me a huge collection of well-painted 15mm figures/tanks he's been working on, and I've convinced him to base them so we can get a nice wargame started.

The problem is finding a suitable set of rules.

We're looking for a company/platoon level scale, where a base of figures = a squad, special support weapon, command section (Like in CM) and a vehicle = 1 or 2 vehicles.

Being a CM player, I find a lot of the rule sets out there unappealing. They treat infantry units in squad levels, but once a squad is hit, the entire squad is basically wiped out. For me, I find that a bit too bloody/unrealistic.

We've got an entire unfinished basement (he just moved into a new house) to play on, which means about 20' x 20' playing area. Very nice for a 15mm scale. smile.gif

Thanks,

Adam