The Newbie Tournaments IV

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just your friendly neighborhood bumpman.

Actually, I might as well take the opportunity to gloat about my 88-12 domination over Austin Bowie in Long and Short. We've both sent our files to ST, so I'm sure the official posting will follow shortly.

The battle ended in a forced surrender after turn 21.

I don't care if the scenario is imbalanced. I'm still pretty happy with this result. tongue.gif

We are still not done Crash Landing, but we have only six turns to go. While CL is going to end up being much closer for us than L and S was, it is clear at his point that AB is not going to make up his point deficit from L and S without divine intervention. Before the addition of a third scenario to the round was announced, He graciously offered to concede the round so that the tourney could move forward, and I thank him for that.

AB's away from his computer for the weekend, but before he left he communicated to me that he will stay in to finish the round and experience more of ST's good home cookin'. Needless to say, he's got a lot of ground to make up if he's going to overtake me, but crazier things have happened.

I look forward to and other superb ST scenario, and I look forward to smashing AB's forces to bits once again. :D

Since we're the last to complete L and S, I guess it's open season on AARs for that one now. We're also so far along in CL that I don't see how reading an AAR from the battle could gain either of us any advantage, so I have no objection to AARs from that one as well.

Cheers,

YD

Final scores from the SuperNewbie Alternates:

Dinga (German) defeated DD_Rob (US) by a score of 73-27 in Ricola!.

Congratulations to Dinga!

Now we wait to see how the others in the group did before we know who the winner is...

Final scores from the Newbie Reject Alternates:

Andrewguy (German) defeated Sgt. Colon (US) by a score of 62-15 in Ricola!.

Congratulations to Andreguy!

Now we wait to see how the other Alternates did before we know who the winners are...

Come on guys, post your AARs. It's half the fun, reading how the others tackled the scenarios we just played! And you do realise our AARs are one of the main reasons why Ted devotes so much of his time to our little tournament, don't you? (that should do it :D )

Originally posted by Walker:

Come on guys, post your AARs. It's half the fun, reading how the others tackled the scenarios we just played! And you do realise our AARs are one of the main reasons why Ted devotes so much of his time to our little tournament, don't you? (that should do it :D )

Yeah! :cool:

Sorry - I am in the process of writing an AAR for my smashing victory in Long and Short. The text of it is basically done, but I'm trying to make this one really good (nothing like gloating over your victories :D ), so I'm going to add some pictures as well.

I should have it done soon.

Cheers,

YD

Final scores from the GV Newbie Alternates:

Herr Kruger (German) defeated Darknight_Canuck (US) by a score of 52-48 in Ricola!.

Congratulations to Herr Kruger!

Now we wait to see how the others in the group did before we know who the winner is...

More results from the SuperNewbies:

YankeeDog (British) defeated Austin Bowie (German) by a score of 71-29 in Crash Landing.

So, YankeeDog wins Round 3 with an overall score of 159-41 and advances to the Finals!

Congratulations to YankeeDog!

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Wow, nice job Yankeedog! I found C.L. to be quite challenging as the British.

Aww. . . shucks. I'm flattered.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should let it be known that Austin and I ended CL with a cease-fire at the beginning of turn 22.

It is not likely that the score would have changed all that much from this point, though. I controlled 5 of the 6 VLs at the end, but it would have been extremely difficult for me to challenge the last VL as I had very little ammo left. Now that I've seen the final map, I can also see that Austin had little to work with - probably enough to hold on to the VL he had, but certainly not enough to mount a counterattack. I did have a couple of his MGs flanked, so I might have been able to take them out and swing the casualty ratio a bit more in my favor, and I even had an outside shot at getting his last StuH, but that's pure conjecture.

In any event, the final turns would have only swung things at most five points one way or the other.

Hats off to Austin for being a good sport and a great opponent. I highly reccommend him to anyone looking for a friendly and honorable match. Just watch out for the wide flanking maneuver. ;)

So it's on to the finals. . .

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Nice one, I look fwd to the AAR, if you're so kind as to write one.

I'm quite shocked you got 5 of 6 flags, yet A.B. still had a StuH...its got my wheels spinning a bit.

An AAR will be forthcoming, though probably not until sometime next week. I certainly hope the rest of you will return the favor.

As to his remaining StuH, it was immobilized, which explains my ability to avoid it and still get 5 of 6 flags. As such, I must admit that luck played a role in this one for me as well. :rolleyes: