Question about TRP's

I undrstand what TRP's are and how they increase your responce time and hitting. I also know you can't move a unit from set-up you want to use with the TRP.

So, how do you trigger the TRP? Do you simply order the unit to fire with a click on or near the TRP (because it won't tell you the mouse is over a TRP) or do the units automaticly use the TRP's?

Ex: You have a morter that is out of LOS of a TRP and you want to use the TRP. Do you manualy target the morter to the TRP "area" which will be out of LOS and area fire.... or what?

I served in a M1 for 7 years I now the value of TRP's and range cards, knowing where all the dead space and possible fighting positons for a attacking unit is a powerful tool. If I know a big dead tree out there to my 1 o' clock is exactly 600 meters away before the battle, it makes it a lot easier to light up "Ivan" when he hides behind it during the battle with my 50 cal. Also If I know the Grid coords of a dead space area to my fighting position it sure makes it easy to call in the red-legs.

Is this how TRP's work?

[ 09-08-2001: Message edited by: Tread Head ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tread Head:

So, how do you trigger the TRP? Do you simply order the unit to fire with a click on or near the TRP (because it won't tell you the mouse is over a TRP) or do the units automaticly use the TRP's?

Ex: You have a morter that is out of LOS of a TRP and you want to use the TRP. Do you manualy target the morter to the TRP "area" which will be out of LOS and area fire.... or what?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much. The radius of the TRP effect is about 20m from the exact center of the bullseye. The target line doesn't change color when it's out of LOS, but when the TRP is in LOS it goes from plain blue to the bright blue LOS line color when you're close enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

Pretty much. The radius of the TRP effect is about 20m from the exact center of the bullseye. The target line doesn't change color when it's out of LOS, but when the TRP is in LOS it goes from plain blue to the bright blue LOS line color when you're close enough.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, it doesn't change color when out of LOS (wish it did), but it will give you the 'Area Fire' message when using a mortar. For Arty FOs, you just have to place the target line. If the arty ETA is listed in seconds rather than minutes, then you know you've found the TRP.

As werfer said, the TRP is 20m in radius (40m diameter). The TRP graphic, however is only 10m in radius and so the TRP's effect actually extends out beyond what is shown by the graphic!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Tread Head wrote:

I also know you can't move a unit from set-up you want to use with the TRP.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually you can move Arty FOs during the game and still use the TRP. You just can't move mortars or guns after setup and still get use from the TRP.

And guns obviously have to direct fire at a target sitting on the TRP (no indirect fire for field guns), but the TRP still provides a nice accuracy bonus.

- Chris