SPPs.- Self Propelled Panzershreks

Out of interest.. can Panzershreks, Bazookas and PIATs be fired from the interior of a half-track/Bren carrier? i.e. Zoom your little halftrack at high warp factors around the back of the offending tank, the A/T team just sticks their little noggins over the sides of the vehicle, and fire.

Or do they have to dismount (and risk getting shot at by troops) first?

Manic Moran

PIAT's don't produce much in the way of exhaust gas - people could fire them out of buildings and bunkers without frying themselves.

But they were a little temperamental - they had a habit of going off accidently - I think no one in their right mind would get driven around in a vehicle with a loaded one.

Guest Michael emrys

Also, units in vehicles have no LOS, so you can't pop an FO in a halftrack or recon car and chauffeur him around the battlefield and have him do his job without taking a minute to get out and report. This is a little odd as FOs sometimes had special vehicles (usually armored and with lots of comm kit) from which they operated, especially during the period covered by the game.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maastrictian:

Think about the interior or a halftrack. Got it? Now think about where all that exhaust gass is going to go.

--Chris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am only speculating here, but I would hazard the guess that firing bazooka-like weapons from open-topped vehicles like a halftrack would not be that great a problem. By standing or kneeling on a bench, the firer could get enough clearance so that the backblast would be directed outside the vehicle. Of course the firer would be exposing more of his own body in the process. Whether this was ever done in actual practice I've never heard, which suggests that if done it was not common. My guess is that anything you would want to shoot a bazooka at would take out a halftrack handily, so the better bet is to keep it back in cover and sneak your AT team into firing position on foot.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Also, units in vehicles have no LOS, so you can't pop an FO in a halftrack or recon car and chauffeur him around the battlefield and have him do his job without taking a minute to get out and report. This is a little odd as FOs sometimes had special vehicles (usually armored and with lots of comm kit) from which they operated, especially during the period covered by the game.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may have been mistaken about this at least as far as recon cars are concerned. I put a bazooka in a T8 last night and on a whim checked to see if he could trace an LOS and was startled to discover that he could. Haven't tried it with an FO yet, but can think of no reason why that shouldn't work too. Next experiment is to find out how many vehicles allow an LOS to be drawn from their passengers. Jeeps? The deck of a tank? Also might be worthwhile to see if the bazooka team can fire from the T8 and what happens to them and the car if they do.

Michael