Increasing AT abilities/effectiveness of rifle platoons

Hello,

I was wondering if other people when purchasing units as the axis normally purchase a veteran or regular panzerschreck team to go with each rifle platoon in a company?

I like having a stronger AT option with my rifle platoon either axis or allied. When I purchase Panzerschrecks they are normally very effective at knocking out and destroying light vehicles and armor.

I also like that Panzerschreck teams are fast and can run a short distance to a better position or keep up with a rifle platoon.

The Panzerschreck team really shows its effectiveness when its with a platoon HQ with good combat, stealth, and command abilities.

I’ve also used a Panzerschreck team to knock out an AT gun, just because they were less than 225 meters from the gun.

You really need to have patience with them and wait for a good shot before unhiding.

I guess luck isn't with some people when they use them.

Kestrl

All I can say is that they are very effective against my Sherman's. :( I fear them as much well almost) as much as German armor. You really have to stay away from them and I mean by at least 200 meters or it's curtains for any lone tank. As far as your question goes, I can't answer that as I always play the Allied's.

I generally do not accompany normal maneouver infantry platoon with one AT team each, especially not with Axis. My opponents are generally capable of keeping out of range of those advancing units and either gain enough armor superiority or drop artillery. In the rare event that advancing infantry meets a tank near cover I can reach, I found squads with Panzerfaust-60 or -100 to be more effective, they are faster and more robust.

There are other uses for AT teams, though:

- detract a tank while one of your tanks or another AT team shoots at it

- form a tank hunter group, which will be sent to face flanking enemy armor and block it from a standing position

I find Bazookas to be more effective than Panzerschrecks, the Schrecks cannot keep the pace of my moving infantry. And the lower price means I can get more teams.

I agree the panzerfaust is excellent when your infantry use them against armor not other infantry. I have no problem taking out a tank that moves a bit to close to my infantry.

The only problem with that is your infantry might use them before engaging any enemy armor and not all squads are equipped with a panzerfaust.

I guess it depends on what kind of terrain settings you have setup because infantry would have the advantage in a heavily wooded area, city, or bad weather.

I also agree with your statement about artillery being dropped on your positions and knocking out your teams before they can be used.

Kestrl & Red,

Generally, I will have a schreck, piat, or zook accompany my infantry platoons. Without doubt, Allied infantry need AT capability. I feel that even German faust armed infantry need extra AT capability of schrecks.

However, I don't place these AT teams immediatley near their infantry brothers. I'll have the AT teams 25 or so meters from the foot sloggers preferably in command control. Hopefully this helps preserve the teams from stray bullets and incoming arty. :rolleyes:

Additionally, I'll purchase a few extra AT teams to guard flanks and approaches to tag any vehicles that may try to flank my guys.

Further, I have recently switched to purchasing vet AT teams instead of regs. The extra hit ability of the vets make them worth the extra cost when compared to the reg AT teams. :D

Cheers, Richard :D:D:D

I know when you purchase a FJ rifle platoon or company, each platoon has a panzerschreck team attached.

I also keep my AT teams a little to the rear until my rifle platoons spot a light vehicle or armor unless the vehicle is within range of a panzerfaust then I’ll try with one of those first.

I don’t see any problem purchasing a few extra panzerschrecks when they were very common on the western front.