How to use motars effectively

"On-table" mortars can also fire on targets out of their line of sight if one of two situations are true; from the rulebook, page 87:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> An on-map mortar can carry out AREA FIRE missions without Line-of-Sight (LOS), provided it is "in command" of an HQ that does have LOS to the desired target location. A mortar can also AREA FIRE at (or very near) a Target Reference Point (TRP) without LOS, but does not need an HQ to do this. Additionally, a mortar can not be moved at all or it will lose its ability to fire at a TRP indirectly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Incidentally, I used this in a recent PBEM game, shuffling mortars back and forth behind a building between two different HQs with different LOS's.

Unfortunately, one of the disadvantages of the vehicle mounted variety of mortars is they can not fire indirectly through a HQ like normal ones; they can only employ "TRP fire," which requires them to be stationary and give up their mobility... the alternative being putting them out into direct LOS of enemy units.

Scott B.

Edit: Brain Lapse.

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: Scott B ]

A good way to use your on map mortar teams is to advance them well behind your main force to some key terrain that overlooks your intended assault area. If you keep them well beyond rifle range but still in LOS they can be very useful as they easily outrange MGs, any rounds that do come in will likely be innefective. Playing this way you can even afford to bring them out in the open for use against far away MG teams and such.

Of course this is best done with no AT guns or tanks in sight.

Gyrene

Acesid,

Here's what I do.

I always keep my mortars out of sight, and have them all fire using a Leader as spotter. If there is a dedicated leader for the support platoon or a Company leader, so much the better, otherwise, I use the platoon leader.

When advancing, I keep the mortars behind the advancing infantry, but in C&C range. When enemy MG nests or infantry guns are encountered, I sneak and hide the leader forward, and next round spot and fire the mortars for suppression/destruction of the enemy.

Defence is easier, as you can setup your mortars out of sight, but use the same indirect spotting technique.

Rule of thumb, keep them mortars out of LOS, until you feel comfortable. And make sure you use their few precious rounds when you really really need them, there will never be enough.

Hope it helps.

coralsaw

[ 05-12-2001: Message edited by: coralsaw ]

I use a similar technique to coralsaw.I also like to buy 2 or 3 larger calibre mortars and attach them to the spotter as well.With a good set up you can be bringing fire down in your first turn.

Chek

Beside much other stuff, this thread has a lot of information about on-map mortars, what to do with them and especially what not. http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=018949

Another important point is not to expect mortars to take out infantry. They are great for supression, but if you don't follow up with sharper units it is quite useless.