Jagdtiger - one mean beast!

I was just playing a TCP/IP game the other day (come to think of it, I still am), the scenario Tiger Woods. I mean, one damn jagdtiger survived salvos of bazooka fire, the other JgdTg fire from a T26, etc. and the latter Jagd just put one round int the T26 and away it went with the biggest kaboom in CMBO I ever heard! These were mean bastards, I can tell.

Give me some hints on using them in a close combat enviroment, since the scenario is quite woody, but the way I see it, it can't be hurt! :D

If you have to use them in close proximity to covered positions (which is obviously a bad idea but sometimes you don't have a choice) the key I've found is lots of close infantry support. Even if the infantry just leads by 20-30m it helps a lot. The infantry will help ID the zooks asap and let you suppress them after one shot. Also, you can still keyhole at close range. Keep your flanks protected by ":safe" cover. Only move to engage once the enemy infantry targets are IDed. Don't leave them in one place. The zooks will home in on them like bees to honey.

ID targets with forward inf

Move to hit inf from keyhole position

Pull back after 1 turn, redeploy, and repeat.

Something along these lines will keep your jt's alive longer (apart from just hiding them in a corner).

-marc s

[ May 12, 2002, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: xerxes ]

Jadgtiger, grumble.... grumble..... I am facing one at the moment, it is on a hill with trees to the front and it has plenty of LOS to the flanks which has currently pinned down my flanking manuever, I now have to resort to the undesirable situation which I do not want which is advancing through thick groves of woods and scattered trees, because I simply dont have the firepower to afford a duel with a Jagdtiger.

Damn everything with the name Jadg or Jaeger!! lol :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sir Uber General:

A couple of brave Stuart drivers can take these out no worries if there is any cover. I took 3 of these into an armoured ME the other day, one of them scored a Panther and a Jagdpanther and survived to see another day to boot!

But the Stuarts cannot penetrate Tiger-class side armor. And non-HVSS Shermans and M10 have too slow going in mixed ground for flanking. So Cromwells, Hellcats an maybe Chaffees are your normal options for flanking.

Having said all that, the Jagdtiger is best defeated by just moving all your armor into LOS at the same time, hammering its front. It will get gun damage in a very short time, and due to its slow ROF it won't nail too many of your tanks meanwhile.

In wouldn't recommend trying the trick on King Tigers, though.