Yes, The Proving Grounds failed the test

GJK

I have 20Mb free on my account. I suspect that most/every internet user has a similar amount now.

I would be quite willing to have a mod there - say a 5Mb one.

Now if this was a new mod there would be a stampede for it so my suggestion is this.

Could we not have a list of say 10 people who would host each new new mod. A central listing would change the URL every 4 hours or so to a different source to prevent a bandwidth hammering. That means the rush for the 'new' uberMod would be spread. The next new Mod would be distributed via a different 10 people.

I realise that someone is going to have a hell of a time keeping all the links/code up to scratch but people in general are more comfortable with web browsers than P2P software.

I see solution to this problem which requires some work but might be doable.

We need good maintained central websites, but that doesn't mean that the big files have to live on them. They provide the framework, and link elsewhere for the actual download.

I don't know how many of you people are in the same position as me, but I assume there are quite a few: I am on AT&T broadband which has insane amounts of cheap bandwidth available, in both directions. I was hosting by publich quickbattle pictures which were triggering a GB/day just fine.

So, with some work we can make the central websites offer links to privately hosted machines offering the actual zipfiles. Somebody who downloaded a zipfile and can maintain a web server (remember it doesn't have to be port 80) announces it to the central website on a form.

The central website mainatins a list of potentional mirrors and will redirect user whoc wish to download zipfiles to one of them.

There are details to resolve about how to tell which mirror site is up. There are several solutions (permanent regular polling of status, or the central website doing it when somebody actually wants to download or just let the user hunt it down) and one of them can probably be made work.

It will not be as comfortable as a plain link, however I think that the user, who will then wait for the download and install the mod, can spare a little time waiting for the server to find a mirror.

Opinions?

I can set up a fps site, as Redwolf has sugered, so it would be used as a mirror ftp site. It would be 24h a day alive, sometimes it will be closed or limited because I will be doing extensive use of it, but...

My broadband is not very wide (ADSL 256/128 Kb), but if a bunch of guys do something like me, or use ftp accounts they have we cans et up a wide ftp service while only a main (or a few) mod webs act like modding sites.

I'm up to help so if something it's done in this way say me and I will set up a FTP site ASAP.