RE: CMBO "Bruyeres" Scenario: Gino Merli has died

This obituary was in yesterday's Washington Post:

Deaths

Sunday, June 30, 2002; Page C06

Gino J. Merli Army Hero

Gino J. Merli, 78, who was awarded the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest award for valor, while serving with the Army in Europe in World War II, died June 12 at his home in Peckville, Pa. He had heart and kidney ailments and Parkinson's disease.

He was a private first class and machine gunner with the 1st Infantry Division (Big Red One) when he was assigned to a 14-man roadblock set up near the Belgian town of Sars-la-Bruyere on the night of Sept. 4, 1944.

The men opened fire on about 100 Germans, who scattered but returned to the attack three more times. Mr. Merli continued to man his machine gun through the long night in which his position was overrun, twice feigning death only to continue firing at the enemy. After the battle, 19 German bodies were found directly in front of his gun.

I had no idea that he was still alive. Another first-class soldier is on his way to Valhalla. He did his duty, and he will be missed. R.I.P.

Here's a story about Merli.

My grandfather was born in the same town as him and served in WWII in the Navy though.

In any case, when Merli got back he was a local celebrity and I think the VFW hall, and the library or something like that are named after him in Peckville (tiny mining town outside Scranton near Olyphant). He was asked to do all sorts of public appearances, but he always refused saying that he couldn't when so many men were equally deserving.

Humilty, duty, and a great American. Truly a sad loss...

Keith