A thought about these Doodad Doohickies

I have been mulling over the great idea of these "Doodads" that will be present in CMBB. And I got to thinking about how they might be applied when the engine is rewritten. I am no programer but this is what I was day dreaming about.

The average tile now is what something like 20 meters square and I have heard talk that it will try to be changed for the rewrite, but for the sake of argument lets say they stay that way.

When we look at the map editor we see all these squares each representing 20 meters, now could they each be broken down, say each square having a little square representing maybe one meter inside it? So we'd have one large square with twenty little ones in each. Now wouldn't it be great if you could place a doodad in any of these squares when making a map. Could this be possible? I realize they are random in CMBB. But could that be a possiblity down the road? The bitmaps for these could be a standard set of sizes and left blank. Say maybe ten or twenty of each. They could be setup as Type Small 1,2,3 Type Medium 1,2,3 and so on. Each being a certain dimension as a Bmp, say small being 32X32. The number would allow us to know what physical representation is represented under it. Say a Type Small #1 is a trough that a modder made or a garbage can, Type Small #3 is something else and so on. Knowing this you'd click on it then it could be placed in any of the small 1 meter squares inside the 20x20 regular square.

It's just a thought and could probably be done better than what I am trying to say. But Being able to place small graphical objects about the map would be very interesting when building them.

I guess these objects could even be given an abstract numbering system for concealment and protective cover.

Anybody have any ideas or comments?

Mord.

[ February 02, 2002, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: Mord ]

I'm not a programmer either but it seems that what you describe is fundamentally a CM battlefield that has to be tracked meter by meter. I'm not sure that even the CMII re-write will accomodate that, though it would be nice if it could.

Personally, I want to see graphic items like telephone poles, signs, markers, fountains, phone booths, sheds, chicken coops...you get the idea. They don't have to function in the sense of cover or concealment, but just look pretty...

:D

I'd be up for that Gunner! I didn't even really think about all the number crunching the processor would have to do per meter. I wonder if their could be a way to where it would only have to track spots where an item was placed.

Really I am just fantasizing out loud. This game has so much potential it's too bad we all can't live another 70 years or so to see where these guys could take this. We are a loooong way from Pong and Computer Ambush.