Ideas for multiplayer in the engine rewrite

What I look forward to the most in the CM II is multiplayer capability. With that in mind, I've been thinking how it could be implemented. Here is some ideas I came up with so far:

In multiplayer TCP/IP battles, one player would be the commander/team captain. At the setup, he would select groups of units and assign them to player #1, player #2, etc.

Now, the really cool bit would if, once the game has started, each player would only spot what he currently sees. For example, if one player had command of a platoon on one side of the map, behind trees, he would not be able to see what player #2 was up to assaulting the village in the middle of the map.

As an option, the commander player could have normal LOS to all the map (representing getting information with scouts and over the radio), and would be able to send commands ('there is a tank behind the large building next to the church', 'careful, there might be a gun in the clump of trees about 200m north of your platoon HQ', etc) to the other players. Chatting might be restricted, also as an option, so only the commander could talk directly to the other players - they could not talk between themselves.

What do you think? Any ideas for how PBEM could be multiplayer, and not involve a lot of file swapping?

Epée